Why become a member? ×

Ibanez PD7

Murph_Orpheus

I've used one a long time ago, but it was before I had really decent gear, and before I really knew what really decent tone was, so don't read too much into my vague recollections :)

From what I remember of it, it was pretty solidly put together for the price of it, and seemed pretty flexible, with the clean/OD/dist options, although I don't recall the attack switch adding much. It did get a bit noisy though, and fell victim to the fizzy high end that most of these things do when you chuck loads of gain on. I'd get hold of one and have a play, see if it's really for you first.

If you want to try something different, I just picked up one of those new Ashdown James LoMenzo things, and I'm pretty happy with the tone I can get out of that. It did come with a dodgy footswitch though, so it had to be swapped for a new one after just two rehearsals.... don't know if that's down to poor QC or just bad luck on my part. Sounds fat though, and should be just the trick for adding some grit and weight to a metal bass sound.

Hope that's some help!!

The PD7 is probably the best pedal you can get for metal at that price range, but the Digitech Bass Driver's worth a look as well, very versatile as it models a bunch of different pedals.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I play in a metal band too, and I find that the band's overall sound tends to be a lot clearer and generally better when I DON'T distort my bass - it ends up sounding muddy sometimes, especially in rooms that aren't too good!

Edited by Welshbassist