Why become a member? ×

Whats your opinion on using different capacitors.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1366130806' post='2048762']
That looks like a great box, but is it worth it, when most folks have just a couple of instruments?
[/quote]

Fair point. I only mentioned it as an example of what's available to the hard-core experimenter.

I sometimes wonder why we bother with primitive passive instrument tone controls at all in these days of multi-effect pedals and multi-band tone controls on our amps.

To get the Most out of some thing, with little work. Is good Engineering
Be it a Cap here or a Diode there.
Lot of guitars have been made on the cheap with electronics wise, and the bits of improvment you make to it to bring it to a level that you like is important.
<Old Commodore64 (CPU Less than 1Hz) used to be used in a programing text, to run a Nuke Power Plant, now you get PC/Laptops (2GHz even Quad Core) playing Cards {well I'm playing cards on it as well as the forum} its a waste of my laptops tallents>

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1366213086' post='2049701']
To get the Most out of some thing, with little work. Is good Engineering
[/quote]

Agreed. But putting a primitive single-pole passive filter in a bass and then connecting it to a multi-band active tone-shaping wonder pedal is not particularly little work or good engineering.

But hey, we're in the domain of subjectivity so I guess anything goes.
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/56775/paper-in-oil-pio-capacitors-what-is-special

What I meant, was getting the best out of it (with switching/filters ie no extra power) so it could just be hooked up to basic amp and out.Any thing else with effects and boosters is down to a persons taste.

If you want to use all amps/effects then why not just have switches to activate the pick ups direct to the amp/effect and let it do the work

• 2 weeks later...

Two suggestions
a MegaTone version (1x2P2T (on/on/on) 1x2P2T (on/off/on) & 1x2P6T)

the first MegaTone36 was said to be too big (the designer is out there and a nice guy to talk to)
it also only had 11 Caps but to use the full range, added a 2P2T (on/off/on) and 2P2T because i didnt have a 1P12T that was any good
<but now brought a load of 1P12T so using that, but am still looking for a hard working 2P6T>
I cut down the resisters, and i had to change the caps on my version as i didnt have any 82 Caps
I used AC176 for the Transisters but i think Diodes will do, and thanks to the ID i now know why i brought the diodes for ;)

The Other side of a Circuit i hope will work, is a 4 Bit Tone Control
<i felt like i got spant on, on another site for talking about computers, so i was dam scared to say any thing>
I was looking around for a 1P12T switch and found a 4Bit Switch, knowing how caps work when put in Parrell (still cant spell it)
i figured Binary would be dam good, but what values well range from 100n-22nF i guess.
I had just brought a Old USSR 47nF cap and wanted to use that, but seem to mostly use Polyester
so 47nF Paper&Oil with 22nF, 15nF & 10nF (sum of 47nF) what will also give me a range 47, 37, 32, 25, 22, 15, 10 0nF just in Polyester
and with the Paper&Oil one in with it 94, 84, 79, 72, 69, 62 & 57nF
and should give a dam wide range to pick from with only 4 caps and 4bit switch
<now to find out if it works, and if it dose the Seller of the Switch is Happy to seller them, he has 800 of them, isnt me>

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]-------------------[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ever I F up (getting sound out!!) or i cant hear any tones :'([/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]finding it hard to hear any difference between any of the controls (well i can hear the vol)
So I might just screw down and let someone who can Play a bass hear any sounds...[/font][/color]

Edited by AngelLaHash