Why become a member? ×

Bit of advice please

kedo

I am a seasoned DB player but only recently got into amplification. I am looking for a small light amp for modest venues, and intended to take advice previously given to me by Basschat members, and buy a GK MB150E. Unfortunately, there isn't one to be had anywhere in the UK, and I understand that when they are available again, they will be much more expensive. It looks like GK distributers get very small amounts of stock in Europe. I am therefore looking at a Markbass CMD 121P with a 12" speaker but more power than the GK. There is always the Markbass CMD JB "Players School" combo with a 15" speaker but less power. I am a bit suspicious of this unit as it looks a little like "baby's first amp". I'm sure it's good really, but why is it £300 less than the 121P? Am I on the right track?

Also, I have a Boss GE-7 equaliser and am confused as it seems that I can get just as good a sound without it. The gain from my Shadow pick up seems to be adequate on its own. I'm confused between the equaliser on the pedal and the parametrics on the amp. Do I really need it, or can it go on Ebay?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

Kedo

Usually it's the impedance from a piezo pickup that causes problems at the inputs of bass guitar amps (which are designed for the much lower impedance of magnetic pickups). The idea is to use something to bump the impedance down from the piezo to make it more acceptable for a bass guitar amp - hence the Boss EQ pedal suggestion.

If you're getting a good sound straight into the amp then you can assume the amp is designed to take very high impedance signals. You're lucky - most aren't!

Shame about the GK combos, that would've been my advice. Can't comment on the Markbass stuff. Personally I use a GB Shuttle head and a lightweight 2x12 cab rather than a combo.

Thanks for that. I've just found a GK on Gear4Music but it's £774. Was £640 until recently. Maybe I shouldn't rush into disposing of the pedal. The other benefit of the GK, is that the extension speaker is only about £270 whilst the Markbass equivalent is nearly £500.