Why become a member? ×

Advice wanted on input pad

Badass

I have a combo and an active bass for practice. The out put of my bass is quite hot and that means the volume on the combo is almost off. So not much control, at practice volume, I don't want to turn down my bass, just a habit but it is always full on.

Does anyone know how I can wire up a 10or 20dB pad. What values of resistor, I presume a simple 'T' or 'H' pad, do I need? To be housed in a small metal box with a jack at each end.

I'm a little rusty on 'pads' so any help appreciated.

Edited by Badass

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1362493624' post='2000087']
Nobody know of a simple RC network (with values) that I can make? There must be some knowledgeable chap here who can help me......
[/quote]
Trying to remember my max power transfer theory now - I think you need to make the input impedance of the pad match that of the amp's input - probably between 100k and 1M - maybe higher and the output as per the guitar - maybe 10k? In other words the guitar "sees" the same impedance as when plugged into the amp direct and the amp "sees" the same impedance as the guitar plugged in direct.

Or I may have totally round the wrong way.....

Thanks, this is the reason I am looking for help. It's been close to 40 years since I did this sort of maths for any circuit design. Although I guess if I find the impedances required then one of the online calculator would give me the resistor values to make this. I'll try your suggestions though for starters. Thanks again

Edited by Badass