Why become a member? ×

PA in Stereo

Hmmm - that question doesn't quite make sense, lol !

"Stereo" isn't really the issue here.

In scenario 1 you have two amps (one for subs and one for tops). I presume you're talking about running each top from a different channel on one amp and each sub from a different channel on the other amp ?

In scenario 2 you only have one amp - running a pair of tops from one channel and a pair of subs from the other.

The obvious cost advantage in 2 is one less power amp.

Where is the crossover for each scenario ?

This was always a bone of contention for me.

Yes, stereo gives the mix "space", but in a live situation, I think a lot of it is irrelevant. You have to remember that stereo, surround, blah blah, is all designed for someone sitting in the "sweet spot", usually the centre point between all speakers.

I used to run a venue for 1500+ that wasn't that deep, but was very wide. We had a keyboard player who ran his own little studio that wanted everything stereo, but in my opinion, someone who sits at the far right of the venue should be able to hear all of the keyboard, and not just the top end.

IMHO, stereo is good for effects in theatre etc, but not really so good for bands. Another personal opinion here- to me, panning toms around the mix a la Roger Taylor fills was fun in the 80's, but is a bit old hat now (dons flame suit!)

P.S. I have had this argument with many engineers over the years. I have struggled to find a valid opposite argument to convince me otherwise, it's usually "...but that's how I like it".

Each to their own.

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='BOD2' post='204917' date='May 23 2008, 12:51 PM']Hmmm - that question doesn't quite make sense, lol !

"Stereo" isn't really the issue here.

In scenario 1 you have two amps (one for subs and one for tops). I presume you're talking about running each top from a different channel on one amp and each sub from a different channel on the other amp ?

In scenario 2 you only have one amp - running a pair of tops from one channel and a pair of subs from the other.

The obvious cost advantage in 2 is one less power amp.

Where is the crossover for each scenario ?[/quote]

Yes! :)
The crossover is built into the amp, we have one of these [url="http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/pvamps_2004_manuals.pdf"]http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/pv...004_manuals.pdf[/url]
Actually, we've got 3 of these, one runs the tops, one runs the mids and one runs the subs - one channel runs each speaker. It's overkill at times hence we want to be able to run the subs from channel A (for example) and the tops from channel B. To do this, we run one output from the desk rather than left and right.

Huge Hands post makes me think that it doesn't matter a bugger whether it's mono or stereo

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='204920' date='May 23 2008, 12:55 PM']Huge Hands post makes me think that it doesn't matter a bugger whether it's mono or stereo[/quote]

That is my experienced opinion, I bet in most gigs, you don't get to set your rig up to be able to provide a true stereo image to all listeners.

As for what you say, I haven't looked at your gear, but just remember one thing - if the crossover setup allows it, the amp you do use to run two speakers instead of one will see a lower impedance, and therefore gig by gig could be running harder depending on how you push it. It's ok when the system is overkill, but if it becomes underkill....

Stick with mono.

If you use stereo at a gig then you will compromise the sound for at least two thrids of your audience (i.e the everyone that is not standing right in the middle of your speakers !).

Don't bother with panning instruments (unless you're compensating for the volume of the backline) and keep everything mono to give everyone in the venue the same sound as best you can.

I'd agree 100% with Huge Hands on this.