Why become a member? ×

J pickup spacing

Owen

I have a bass which had a MM humbucker in it. I do not get on with the MM thing. I have taken it out. I like J pickups and P pickups. My intention is to rout another MM pickup hole in it and get two J pickups in MM covers into it. While I was thinking I thought about putting half a P pickup in each case as well so that I could have either option open. My one problem is that if I have a 1/2 a P in each case then it will push both J pickups out wider - closer to the bridge and neck. I know that some people love the 70's bridge position etc etc etc, but with both J pickups on, how much difference is it really going to make? I never use the bridge pickup soloed.

Thanks. What I am doing is putting single J pickups into MM cases. While I am at it I will also put half a P pickup into each case. I will have two MM cases each with a J and half a P in them. These will then be wired so both halves of the P pickup think they are in one case.

• 2 weeks later...

60s bridge jazz bass pickup position - 798mm from the nut, 70s - 808mm from the nut. 60's has more bass, 70's more middle tones, I like it more when I'm using distortion. It is possible to place two of them in the MM pickup routing, but it has to be fitted by somebody who nows what he's doing ;) good luck!