Why become a member? ×

Adding Scratchplate to Squier VMJ

M-Bass-M

I've just acquired a Squier VMJ fretless, which has the usual Jaco sunburst / no scratchplate combo. I've got some long-term plans for the bass, which involves adding a scratchplate.

Now is this as simple as buying a scratchplate, some screws, drilling a few pilot holes and then screwing it on? Will any generic Jazz scratchplate fit?

Cheers

Mark

Unfortunately on the VMJ the metal control plate (the one with the knobs on) has a more pointed top so the rounded curve on a regular Fender Jazz bass scratchplate will not fit without modifying it. You could replace both the control plate and scratchplate at the same time though, I think a Fender one will fit ok then (in that the screw holes line up) but I'm not 100% sure on that, its been a while since I looked at a VMJ.

I added a Fender tort scratchplate (among other improvements) to my fretless VM Jazz a while ago and had to do a bit of work to get it to fit properly. Worth the effort as it looks pretty good I think.
Here's a before/after pic of mine:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2011/post-14473-1310984265.jpg"]http://basschat.co.u...-1310984265.jpg[/url]

Edited by johnDeereJack

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1359988459' post='1963003']
You could replace both the control plate and scratchplate at the same time though, I think a Fender one will fit ok then (in that the screw holes line up) but I'm not 100% sure on that, its been a while since I looked at a VMJ.
[/quote]
I'm considering fitting a new pre-amp with attached control plate, so it seems as though these two modifications will have to be done together. Thanks for the respsonses.

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1359995218' post='1963190']
I'm considering fitting a new pre-amp with attached control plate, so it seems as though these two modifications will have to be done together. Thanks for the respsonses.
[/quote]
No worries. I have an ACG/John East J-Retro pre on my fretless JB that I'm thinking of taking off actually. I don't think they make these any more - its the one that comes ready installed on the control plate. Also a black/white/black scratchplate is coming off at the same time. So if you're interested drop me a PM when you're ready to do the mod.