Why become a member? ×

Washburn SB-40 Mystery Help Please

MEKer

Hi All-------from over across the pond! Been trying to track down Washburn history of the 1978-1983 basses by Washburn, in particular, the SB-40 (1980-82) and SB-40EQ(came out in 1982 I believe). Anyway, Washburn threw out all records prior to 1988, when ownership changed hands. Terrible mistake. So for years I have been researching, with little effect, for info on the internet, dealers, etc. No ads, brochires, promos or anything else seem to be around anywhere! I own two SB-40's luckily, including the first isssue of them, buying an SB-40 when introduced "new for 1980" in late 1979 in Los Angeles (pic posted).

Does anyone at all have any documents of [b]any[/b] nature on SB's (or B-40's as well for that matter)? If you own one can you please post pictures? I belive they came in Tobacco burst, Honey burst and Red---probably more but have no idea.

Hiya, I've looked into these in the past, my reason was because the bassist on Paul Simons 'Graceland' album used a fretless one and to be fair it's full off Basslines and bass sounds I really admire.

The model he used and the one you seem to have are the rarer ones, i read that the neck/headstock shape is from a series including the vulture model, think they were referred to as the wing series.
The body shape was continued as the 'force' series which had a 4 aside headstock.

Bassasin on this forum has one like yours as I recall; seem to think I've begged him for it in the past.

I found a page from a catalogue from google images a year or so ago, now long gone into the recycle bin - sure it'd still be on Google images though?

Don't know if this is any use?

Andy

Edited by AndyTravis