Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee's tech...

johnnylager

Far be it for me to read another forum, but I've just spent the last hour reading [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393208"]this[/url]. If, like me, you [i]might[/i] be a bit of a gear nerd, especially of the Geddy Lee variety, then as Steve says - get the kettle on and start wading... :huh: Fantastic. :huh: Thanks Steve, I owe you a pint mush. :huh:

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='202290' date='May 19 2008, 05:24 PM']Geddy's own bass tech, Russ Ryan, has posted loads about Geddy's set up [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393208"]here[/url]. It covers the Trace Elliot amps and [i]I think [/i]there's mention of his in-ears but don't quote me. Just make a cup of tea, set aside an hour or two and wade through the tons of posts :)[/quote]

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='202790' date='May 20 2008, 01:00 PM']Far be it for me to read another forum, but I've just spent the last hour reading [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393208"]this[/url]. If, like me, you [i]might[/i] be a bit of a gear nerd, especially of the Geddy Lee variety, then as Steve says - get the kettle on and start wading... :huh: Fantastic. :huh: Thanks Steve, I owe you a pint mush. :huh:[/quote]

Hehe, nee bother mate, 'tis a very insightful read :)

GEDDY LEE IS GOD!!!!

The tone is in the right hand! On Moving Pictures ged play his ricky and his jazz. I probably found this out 25 years later, still can't tell which is which. Even the steingerger from GUP sounds like his ricky/ jazz. The only distinctive sound really was the wal on Power Windows. I listen back to previous live/studio Rush before about '98 and must say his tone was better without all the technology. I wish someone would tell him!

Thinking about it when they brought out the 3 dvd job and the audio for GUP. The bass and everything else for that matter sounded incredible ... and that was the steinberger.

If you are looking Geddy save yourself a packet if you come back to the UK. You can use my ashdown and Miller Jazz.

It's miller time /tone ....

I read some of the Russ Ryan stuff on TB a few months back and while it was an interesting read (and I would say I haven't re-read the thread this time around...I'm at work), but from memory he did seem blissfully ignorant about the different versions of the Geddy Lee signature model, kept saying 'I'll have to ask Geddy about that' and he did come across as a bit of a slack-jawed yokel insofar as his knowledge of other bass gear went.

Am I right?
P

reminds me of the stories about Radio3's old studios being haphazardly wired together on the cheap, and audiophiles at the other end obsessing over every little nuance coming through their super-expensive esoteric hifi gear.

it's odd that someone on the TB thread said they could get closest to geddy's tone using flats- rounds sounded "too wiry" or something- maybe playing on your own they do, but what about in the mix with guitar and drums?