Why become a member? ×

Tuned Cabinet

aende

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1358171994' post='1934166']
I have no flippin' idea!
[/quote]

[url="http://www.loudspeakerdesign.co.uk/"]Here's[/url] a good place to start. Don't mean to be rude but there is so much to speaker cabinet design that I think any explanation will only raise more questions. I don't fully understand it myself, but i know enough to not attempt it alone. It is far better to design the cabinet around the driver than the other way around for a start.

To answer your question, I think the driver resonance should definitely [u]not[/u] be the same as the cabinet resonance...

As I understand it...

The idea of tuning a cabinet to a low frequency is usually to extend the frequency range of the driver downwards or to even out the frequency response of a driver (hence bass cabinet design is the most important).

e.g. If the driver has a flat frequency response down to 50Hz, a 40Hz tuned cabinet will extend the frequency response downwards, but anything below here (say 30Hz) will tail off more rapidly.

If the driver frequency range goes down to 20Hz then the cabinet in question will cause a hump in frequency response at 40Hz, making that frequency louder than the others.

this is all theory though as in the real world things are quite a bit more complicated. Heres a picture of a typical frequency response...

Edited by brensabre79