Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB614 Input jack problems

Gaz

Recently my Yamaha BB614 started to randomly cut out when I was playing.

I first assumed it was a broken cable so had them replaced. Still the problem persisted. I tried it with a different amp and it still cut out. I then discovered that it would cut out when the input cable was at certain angles by twisting it around inside the bass.

The jack is not loose, i've checked that, however the cable doesn't seem to snap in as well as it had in the past. I've looked inside for broken wires etc but it all seems to be in working order.

I think that it's something to do with a problem inside the jack itself but was wondering your guys opinion on it. Anything I can do to fix this myself?

Barrel jacks go bad. There isn't really a fix to them, being all enclosed. You can get a suitable replacement from Maplin (Maplin code N39GB, Neutrik NYS2203) for £2.99.

You have to cut off the cable grip bit, and make sure you solder the wires back in exactly the same order as before, or else the battery will drain constantly and you'll be replacing it every month or so regardless of how much you use it.