Why become a member? ×

Spector neck questions

Pinball

Hi, I'm kind of missing my humble Spector Legend 4. I always thought that I would upgrade to a higher spec model at some stage and I see them come up for sale fairly often like Rebop's or LX's but don't feel I know enough about the range to make any decision.

I have occasionally noticed that some players give the reason of "don't like the neck" as a reason for sale. I have to say that I found the Legend 4 neck really nice and never noticed any problems.

Are there differences between the NS's Legends, Rebops and Lx's are all the necks pretty similar?

Note: I did briefly have an early 90's 5 stringer that was build like a tank, 5 stringers are a totally different matter :)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what are differences among Spector models. I can only compare Spector NS 4H2 to Yamaha BB604 or Dean Vendetta. It has the chunkiest neck of them and feels hard and heavy. It dives and takes time to find your own way how to hang the bass, at least the bolt-on series dives from what I read on forums. However, once you get used to it or start liking it you realise they have their own character. Well, for that money they had better ;)

Edited by kyboo

Thanks,
I have Korean models in the past, two were Legend 4's and found them great to play. I also had an NS2005 that I bought unseen and was taken aback by the chunkiness of the neck and weight of the guitar in general. I must say though that once I started playing it I soon became comfortable with the neck, although I never thought "I love this".

That's why I asked the question because if the rebops and Lx 4's have necks comparable with Legend 4's I would be confident that I would like them. In fact one of the Legend 4's became my "go to" bass for a while. I never should have sold it.

I had an NS-2J-AR, which was the limited re-release of the 80's NS2J. That had quite a substantial neck, with the fingerboard having a lot more depth than even a Stingray or Precision. Also, a very long neck - or certainly in feeling, as the bass had such a slight body.

I really enjoyed playing it, but it did occasionally feel like a stretch, and would push me to play fingerstyle.

I'm not sure how representative of the Spector range that single bass is, mind. I think I recall starting a thread of my own on the issue of Spector necks, and was told there was some variation.