Why become a member? ×

Recording in different hemispheres

WalMan

Following my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16717"]recent thread[/url] re trying to find a replacement part for a Tascam 38 so that I could try to convert to digital and remix some really old (1986 & 1989) 8 track tapes (and the ensuing saga of the weeping tapes that need slow cooking in the hope of possibly getting a better extract) I got into an exchange of emails with the old vocalist who has been based in New Zealand for quite a few years now re sending him DVD's of the tracks so he can have a play as well.

This then developed into a suggestion that he send me some tracks to add bass to, to which I have added sending some bits & pieces I have been working on in the other direction for him to add lyrics/vocals to.

Now I am happy enough doing the cover gigs, but this new suggestion has perked me up quite a bit.

We did an exchange of backing tracks a couple of years back to reproduce an old song of ours for a guy who used to come and see us years ago (and still does actually) who wanted to play it at his wedding. Unfortunately it did not get used as Paul (in NZ) decided to change the melody lines so that the 2006 version was quite different.
I like the new version ([url="http://www.myspace.com/akindoffury"][color="#0000FF"][b]I Need You - A Kind of Fury[/b][/color][/url] on MySpace along with a couple of live tracks and some early mixes of the saved 8 tracks) but it got mixed reactions for the changes from the others.

Still the stuff proposed now is new stuff not reworking of old songs and it has got me quite excited to get started - though a bit worried as to my ability as one name mentioned in conjunction with it was Stanley Clarke :huh:

I still find it weird the ease with which one can put together songs with a couple of computers, post & DVD's, or even just uploading to a secure area both parties can access, despite being on opposite sides of the world. Mind this is from an old f@rt whose first studio recording were on 4 track reel to reel that we were really impressed by :)

As & when anything occurs I shall post more, but had to share now. [attachment=8721:Wman_PS.jpg]

Edited by WalMan