Why become a member? ×

Hartke/Marshall heads

twentyhertz

I'm currently playing a Behringer BX3000T head into an Ashdown MAG 4x10T cab. In rehearsals, thanks to my guitarist's monster setup, I've been finding that the Behringer head isn't quite cutting the mustard (into a Peavey TVX 4x10). I've generally found that the Behringer's been pretty good until now.

The problem is my guitarist's amp - he's running a Burman 100W Powerpak preamp and power amp, into a Marshall 4x12, and a Traynor 9x8. The Burman is one of these crazy amps that doesn't really distort as you turn it up, it just gets LOUDER, making it many times louder than your average 100W guitar head. That and the two cabs give an incredibly full, wide-ranging sound, with plenty of bottom end, as he uses a Big Muff/Metal Muff to create distortion sounds.

I'm looking to quite possibly add a second head onto my setup - using the Behringer and something else, each driving a 4x10 cab. I've also considered the idea of just running the two 4x10s off the head, but not sure if this is going to be quite enough. I've not yet been able to get my Ashdown 4x10 out to try in the rehersal room to try alongside the Peavey 4x10 for comparison - anyone any thoughts on how much extra volume/presence an extra cab is going to provide?

As for heads, I've kinda always been looking for something a bit "nicer" than the Behringer. I've had no real trouble with the Behringer head, but it's not had a particularly hard life so far, and experience tells me that Behringer stuff isn't always up to full-on regular abuse. My thoughts are mainly based around looking at the Hartke 2500/3500, or possibly the new Marshall MB450 head.

I've used the old Hartke 2000 head before - anyone have any suggestions how it compares to the new 2500 model? I seemed to remember it being a good solid performer, and sounding considerably louder than its 200W power rating would suggest. I can specifically remember it sounding a hell of a lot better than the solid state Ampeg SVT-450H! Of course, the 3500 has a great reputation too, but with the 2500 costing a mere £160, I have to admit to being very tempted indeed...

There's no real fixed budget either... just as cheap as humanly possible (under £400 ish)!

P.S. Side-point: What are people's thoughts on powering an additional cab from a regular PA-type power amp running from the line-out of my Behringer head?

I think you'd be better off giving your guitarist £50 to turn it down or cut the bass frequencies from his guitar - you're the bassist - not him!

I often have this debate with one of our guitarists - he keeps adjusting his tone to sound good/full by itself. I keep trying to persuade him it's about getting a sound that fits in an ensemble which for a guitar can mean cutting the bottom end a bit. With a bass plus one or two bassy guitars things get awfully muddy and you can lose any real punch.