Why become a member? ×

Live show powering it

We are playing a gig in the basement of a church tomorow and i am just wondering as there is only a few plug sockets nearby to where the stage is how much equipment can be powered safely from one plug socket using an extention lead?

We wil have:
Behringer 1500 power amp
Behringer XENYX 1832FX mixer (i think)
Line 6 spider 2 75 watt
marshall 75 watt ish
mark bass 450 bass
mesa boogie 1 12 of some sort (all tube)
And i keyboard of some description

All i am asking is it is safe to run all these things off only a few mains wall plugs and some extention leads?

any advice greatly appreciated

phil

I've run way more than that off a 15 Amp socket before.

+1 on checking your fuses but also check the ratings on your extension leads. Some domestic extensions are intended only for a few small appliances like tellies and DVD players and will not handle more than a few amperes.

Edited by Tengu

For future reference, if you ever need to work out how much current (amps) will be drawn by a collection of equipment like above, here's what you need to do -

1. Look at the "rating label" on the back of each piece of equipment. It will should show the INPUT power in WATTS. If there are two "WATTS" figures, pick the larger one.

2. Add all these input power ratings together to get the total WATTS

3. Divide this total by 230

4. The resulting figure is the AMPS that will be drawn by the equipment when it's all running at full power.

If this result is more than 13 AMPS then you may have a problem as the fuse in your extension socket should blow at this level.

Note that this is just a safe approximation. In most cases the equipment will not be running at full power therefore it will use less AMPS than this - which is a good thing. It's always best to err of the side of caution, however, and the above is a reasonable rule of thumb.