Why become a member? ×

Just bought a Phil Acoustic Bass... Any info?

SirChewey

I think I've grabbed a bargain here for my £100, lovely playing electro acoustic bass with a stagg hard case.

Bass by Phil Music (Korea) SN: MB-36CE-SN, good volume and tone (despite the poor strings) - looks like a solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides. I adjusted the action, boiled the strings up as they were coated in crap and sounded very poor, they're still poor but sound much better - will make do until I get down the store. After cleaning it up a little, I'm sat feeling rather chuffed with my purchase. It plays really well for such a cheep guitar and appears quite well made.

I haven't managed to find any info on these guitars other than a company called Phil Pro made some electric guitars and basses but nothing on acoustic guitars or basses and not sure if these are the same company although I expect they are. If anyone has any info on these it would be great to hear back. The guitar was purchased new about 8 years ago from within the UK although I haven't found any evidence of these being stocked over here. No idea on what it's worth but it plays well and I'm more than happy for the money I paid for it.

Yes that looks like one of the Phil range.
Phil Hadler from Whitsable in Kent, commisioned and imported some guitars starting about 10 years ago (I think).
My local store in Folkestone, Kent had loads. The electric basses I played were truly amazing. Through neck, 2 pickups and active.
They retailed at about £250.
Looks like you've got yourself a geat bass

enjoy