Why become a member? ×

Korean P-Bass/Evil Bay Woes

PURPOLARIS

I bought an old beat up Korean P-Bass from evil bay and it arrived with the customary neck problem. Action was about 1cm at the 12th fret even though the bridge saddles were set at their lowest. Straight away I dreaded the worst but got the Allen key out and started to adjust the truss rod. It was really loose so I thought there might be some hope. Managed to get the neck nice and straight but after around 10 mins it had moved again. Tweaked the truss rod again and brought it back into line but again it moved. I've been doing this for around 5 days now hoping the neck would settle. The truss rod seems to work but also seems to be slipping as the neck goes back to having too much relief. Anyway, I feel I'm getting to the end of the truss rods limits so I'm not holding out much hope for this neck.

What I don't understand is why the action is still massively high when the neck is straight and the bridge saddles at their lowest. I've never had any problems with Korean made Basses in the past so I'm wondering if the neck has been put onto a different body, although the neck fitment is excellent. I've shimmed the neck for now to make it playable but in all honestly I'm more than a bit peeved with the seller as I obviously wouldn't have bought the Bass had I known about the neck. I also lost out on another Korean P-Bass I was watching.

I've written to the seller explaining my thoughts on the Bass so I'll see what he comes back with. I paid £100 for the Bass plus £16 postage. It'll cost me money to send it back to him so is it really worth my while pursuing this course of action.

Maybe I'll just leave him appropriate feedback, put it down to a bad deal and make that the last Bass I buy on Ebay.

I had this problem once on a used neck I bought, exact same as yours, the problem was, the truss rod anchor was starting to break so it would straighten then go back to high action, I would tighten it again and same thing, eventually the anchor snapped. It is possible to repair a snapped rod anchor, quite a bit of info if you google it. HTH