Why become a member? ×

A couple of my tunes

clauster

A couple of tunes I did early last year can be found here -

[url="http://www.myspace.com/maanic"]http://www.myspace.com/maanic[/url]

I'm playing on "Lately" and "Cheap"

Be forgiving because I don't normally play funk and am crap at slapping. It was just something the three of us did because we didn't have anything better to do for a couple of weeks.

The songwriter moved to Nottingham last year, but got in touch earlier this week to say I've gotta go up and lay down bass for more of his songs, which reminded me that MrsClauster did us a Myspace and I could tell you lot about it.

Anyone whose foot doesn't instantly start tapping to 'Cheap' is soul-less! That one would get me bouncing off the walls at a live gig. Not an easy feat at my age. :huh: :)

The exuberance really comes over. It isn't absolutely perfect from a technically musical point of view. Frankly, it doesn't matter. It does it for me regardless.

Preferred 'Cheap to 'Lately', but both show off the fact you are enjoying yourselves and that counts with me.

From a recording point of view - the vocal sound needs a bit of work to iron out the peaky sound - there's an over prominence in the higher mid to treble area. The rest is basically pretty good though.

[quote name='clauster' post='195325' date='May 9 2008, 11:46 AM']Be forgiving because I don't normally play funk and am crap at slapping.[/quote]

What are you talking about? That sounded pretty funky to me. I didn't really hear any technical problems. It sounded tight and grooving to me.

I don't know if the vocal wasn't well recorded. I think it was recorded ok but just wasn't sung at the same standard as the music. But you could work that angle a bit if you wanted. It wasn't out of tune or anything. Just a bit like Joe Strummer's vocals but without the conviction and self-belief. It doesn't sound like the vocalist really believes in it on the recording (which is strange as he wrote it). If you had more time and more takes he'd have got it.

I think the project is worth pursuing if the songwriter wants to give it another go. It sounds fun and a bit different.

Thanks for the feedback guys (I'll be forwarding the singer/sonwriter a link to this thread - he'll be chuffed).

TBH the vocals could have been recorded better - when we recorded these none of us knew how to bypass the cosm effects on the inputs so all tracks (except drums/percussion) have a guitar or bass modelled preamp on them! Not great for your vocal sounds.