Why become a member? ×

NB(s)D - Status Energy and Lakland 44-01

hamfist

Have recently picked up two new basses, the Status only yesterday, and am thrilled with both.

I gigged the Lakland (bought from Amafi on here - many thanks !) last weekend, and it was superb. THe note clarity was exceptional, and there's so many tones in this thing ! I'd swear I was playing a precision when I put it on the neck pickup.Great J-bass-type and modern tones too.

THe Status Energy I picked up yesterday. Just cruising on Gumtree yesterday morning I saw this advertised locally. Went straight round to see it. What a cracking bass !!! Quality is right up there with the Lakland, and (dare I say it) perhaps even more playable. Both pickups are slightly more towards the bridge, so it can't quite do the precision-type tones of the Lakland but still a beautiful bass. Note clarity is really special, just perfect for anything fingerstyle.
Oddly, I really like the seafoam green too.
It's one of the slightly later Energy's (mid 90's I think) with the Status' own "Hyperactive" saopbar pickups, and a wooden neck, with two graphite rods inside. The active preamp is a bit unusual with a preset EQ curve and then the only tone control is a treble boost/cut. Surprisingly, it's actually quite effective. I'm not one for fiddling with the tone controls much on a bass anyway. Set it up to my liking and forget it, is my general motto. For me, through my Streamliner/GK neo 212, it works a treat. I'm not even going to tsay what I bought it for, as it was stupid cheap for the quality. Original Status-branded fitted Hiscox hardcase too !
I have googled these with not a huge amount of success. Has anyone any experience of the Energy basses ?

[attachment=121622:energy & 44-01.jpg]

Edited by hamfist

Congratulations, very nice basses!

I've a wooden necked Energy 5 string, they're good basses and the preamp is a big part of the sound. The original Energy had an all graphite neck and the famous Status body shape that's currently the S2 Classic. Then they introduced the wooden necks in the mid nineties, shortly afterwards they changed to body shape to be more contoured like yours. Not sure when they discontinued the wooden necks but they only offer graphite necks at the moment.

Thanks Rich !

Anyone else ? I'm surprised as I thought Status sold quite a few of these Energy basses. I'm particularly interested in whether anyone has tried any different pre-amps in them. THe pots on mine are rather crackly and it'll cost about £38 to order replacement ones from Status (I'd rather get the exact ones from them, as a guarantee that they will fit nicely). But, for not a whole lot more I could consider buying a whole new pre-amp.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1350979601' post='1845687']
I knackered the original preamp in my Energy, I put in a Bartolini TBT instead but it's lost a lot of the oomph. I reckon you'd be better off getting the old preamp fixed, or get a direct replacement from Status on the website under On-Line Shop > Active Circuits.
[/quote]

That's useful info RIch. Thanks.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1351024912' post='1846448']
Nice basses! I have a seafoam green Status Shark, it's a great colour :)
[/quote]

If this were TB, we could start a seafoam green Status owners club.......... and then again, perhaps not.