Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Musician active circuitry problem

mikegatward

I've taken delivery of a 1993 MC924 which I bought blind. It needs a bit of tlc but plays lovely.

Only issue is the active circuit. when I switch the toggle to active, I get no sound (and yes, I did check the battery wasn't dead.

Does anyone know about these ?. I have heard they can be troublesome and noisy.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has repaired one of these or indeed replaced it with a more modern pre-amp.

Would also appreciate recommendations for a good guitar tech in terms of electrics in the Yorkshire or North West

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

The preamp boards are hard to find. I have eventually replaced the pickups with EMGs in 2 Musician basses - requires some slight routing, but in my opinion you don't lose much in terms of tonal range.

From wat I have observed the active circuits got less noisy as the range progressed - my 1980 is quite hissy but the 1986 I had was a much more modern and quiet circuit.

Martin Dixon in Ilkley is very good.

[b]Hi Mike i have a 924 and love it its the only bass i can get every sound i want trouble is its a bit heavey but apart from that one of the best basses i have ever had and iv got a ricky a precision a musicman 2 warwicks 2 ibezez a yamaha and loads more if i get any problems with any of my basses i go to Musicscene mansfiedl a guy picks guitars up every tuesday and satday and does a fantastic job at a very cheap price the no is 01623 631174 it might be a long way to come but he really is good also another guy who repairs amps ect is a guy called dave ball 0115 9113964 both of these are first class , hope this helps.[/b]