Why become a member? ×

Bass amp recommendations for a mate?

Sketcm

Hi. The bass player in our band is looking to buy his first bass amp.

He's been into a local store where the guy told him he needed a 500w amp - the rest of us reckon this is overkill: I have a Roland JC-120 which never reaches two on the volume dial, and our other guitar goes through a 100 Vox, which is similarly loud. Apparently the salesman said it's all about tone – the greater the output of the amp the cleaner it stays (I understand this) - but 500w? We're unlikely to play anything more than smallish gigs. However, I'm happy to concede I know nothing about bass amps. I will also say that he has a quite distinctive bass style - very melodic lines. Maybe this is an issue?

So, can you guys confirm or deny the salesman's recommendation re wattage, and also recommend amps that might fit the bill, either new or used. I reckon his budget's around £300.

Also, do you guys use compressors? I've heard these are particularly important for bass when trying to cut through the mix. [sorry - just seen the compression post in the other forum]

If you want to hear some of our stuff, go to myspace.com/ponychairblack

Many thanks.

Edited by Sketcm

Its absolute bollocks to say he needs 500 watts! But you do need lots more watts than guitars, 2-3 times as much, so if the guitars are using 100watts the the bass needs 2-300 watts. Thus is cos guitars have a narrower frequency band to amplify and distorted guitars amps usually sound good whereas distorted bass amps usually sound bad and f*** your speakers. Speaker efficiency is also an important consideration.

£300 is not a lot of cash for a gigging rig so its best to lurk around the classified ads on here and your local Loot, Friday Ad etc.

i was in a similar situation, 2 guitarists at about 100watts. i went for a 2x10 300watt combo which gives me the basis with which to build on as in adding an extension cab later and the combo gives about 200+watts without the extension. you can pick up a very decent (though not high end) amp for gigging with for around £300 but he really needs to go look around and try some stuff out and see what he likes for his money.
second hand you will get more amp for your money but then you take the chance of it lasting, though most of the sales that go on on here are pretty legit and fair.