Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a bass body - stripping varnish

barryman

I've just got a really nice bass - it has a honey coloured woodgrain finish. Problem I have is that the finish is very high gloss - probably polyurethane. I'd prefer it to be a satin finish rather than high gloss. So question is:
Is there any way, (other than trying to strip the whole damn body) of taking off the gloss only. I really don't want to be sanding back to bare wood. Any ideas???

Edited by barryman

yh as above really, theres no need to remove the old finish as you'll just have to re-build it back up again with the satin, just give it a light rub down with 1500 wet and dry and some household soap (this stops it getting paint clogs on the paper and scratching the finish) do this till the orange peal in the old finish is gone, otherwise you'll have dots of shine left, then give it a couple of coats of satin finish, or start with 2000 grade, then 2500 grade then a light wax an that'll give you a stain finish again. either way is fine, each one a slightly different look, but both will work. hope it goes well!