Why become a member? ×

Advice needed on amps and cabs etc please?

rslaing

I'm new to the forum - so hello to everyone. I hope you can help in this, my first foray into the lions den.

Can I have advice or comments on the best bass amp and cabs that have been tried and tested by you knowledgable people in here please? Stuff that you would recommend I should buy?

I am presently looking about for a high powered amp that has plenty of tonal variation and a cab that can handle it that isn't too heavy. It would have to be able to handle and completment the SEI Millenium 6 I have just bought. Some of the suggestions I have had that I might also consider are:

EBS TD 650
Mark SD800
Schroeder cabs (1212 mainly)
EDS microbass with an Acoustic Image Focus 600W power amp?
zillions of other cabs.
Aguilar
etc. etc. etc.

Anybody in here got any great gear like the above that they want to sell?

Thanks in advance.............I hope this message has followed the rules, if not, excuse me, it's my first.

Firstly welcome to the mad house.

You're going to get a load of people recomending what they use, the best way to find whats best for you is to try all the gear you can.

Now Id recomend cab wise an Epifani UL310 hard to beat on weight, power handling and volume. I use mine with and Aguilar AG500, a superb amp, very clean sounding with tons of power.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='191372' date='May 3 2008, 10:23 PM']And I'd recommend a Vox Venue 30 Bass with a 12" pioneer car sub popped in it. Doesn't go very loud & weighs only slightly heavier than the car it came out of.[/quote]

Or not as the case may be! :)

Lots of people have found the Aguilar GS112's to be a great combination of value/weight/size/volume - which is definatly a hard combination to find!! whack a markbass on top of two of those and you have a rig that will be capable of any non stadium environment!

Personally, i use Gallien Krueger and Schroeder, a little heavier than id like but nice and compact and INCREDIBLY loud and sharp.

On a more serious note, I'd recommend trying Markbass stuff.
I haven't gigged mine as of yet, but in rehearsals it sounds amazing & cuts through fine, & where we rehearse we probably play louder than any gigs we do & have no trouble with one noisy bloody guitarist that only has a loud button, a vocalist who's synth guitar is always a bit on the overpowering side & a drummer who can deafen you even when using brushes! The singer say's "It's nice to hear the bass and can now play off of it". I used to just hire stuff for gigs.

We have a gig on the 17th of May at Kinbuck (It's a beer festival, so good reason to go), so after we do that I'll let all know how it does & maybe give a review of it.

But like rslaing says, go & try some stuff to see what you like. I however bought my MB blind but read loads about it & knew I didn't want the sound of an Ashdown or Ampeg combo (tried them & was tooooo Wooooooooooooooooooly, but I am toying with the idea of adding an Ashdown cab as it may compliment the MB sound.