Why become a member? ×

Trios

oggiesnr

So last week my tutor had me and another pupil playing trios with her. First time I've played in an ensemble reading music rather than playing on the fly. Great fun and good for the soul but rather scary.

Anyway, that got me thinking, both about my reading ability (getting better but not good) and my theory knowledge (ditto). So, on a whim I decided to take one of my team's morris tunes and see what I could come up with. Started by transposing it into bass clef (all the music is given me in treble with chords) and then started playing about with it. It was a) a lot harder than I ever imagined and B) a lot more fun. I was trying to make an interesting piece of music (to hear and play) rather than a melody and a bass line.

I took the result to this week's lesson and needless to say there were some faults ( clashes, too many times when I had plain octaves) but it was (too me) a valuable lesson in terms of both theory and working out fingerings etc.

I'm now in the process of cleaning it up and looking at making it flow better. All things being equal we're going to try it as a trio next week so watch this space :) .

If you'd told me when I took up DB earlier this year that I'd be trying to write music I'd never have believed you. As something different to try I fully reccomend it.

Steve

PS If anyone's interested I'll post a copy of the work in progress.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1348668738' post='1816698']
You are moving into the area of being a complete musician and not just a bass players, Steve. Writing (and reading) music brings massive insights into the bigger picture and makes you a better player. Glad to see it's working for you.
[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve