Why become a member? ×

Agonising over a new amp

Finbar

Ack, so I'm in a bit of a bind now. I've been talking to the boys at Electro Music in Doncaster, and they say they can do me a good deal on a Hiwatt 200 head (in that rather nice looking white vinyl, if I so wish ^_^).

Only problem is that even with a 'good deal' on Hiwatt stuff, it is still a bit expensive! I do love that old school all-valve sound, especially when its running full tilt... But by my reckoning, I would need to sell off my Conklin 7 string, my Ibanez BTB AND my Marshall VBA400 head to afford it. They won't take part exchange on it, so... is it worth it in your opinions?

The Marshall VBA400 is just too loud for me, which is why I want to downsize to the (still very loud) 200w Hiwatt.

Also, where is a good place to get flightcases for heads? I'm aware I'd need to splash another couple hundred at least on a good flightcase for it really :/

Cheers,

Chris

That's a tough call...

Evaluate the gear you already have. Are there things you don't like about it? Don't use it enough to justify keeping it? Is it way too much for what you need. If you really don't get the use out of it or am not happy with it it's best to sell it to some other bass player who may get more use out of it. A bass is meant to be played. :)

Whenever I get a different amp I do a couple of things. First, is it a phase I'm going through where one week I want one thing then another week it's something else. Second, have you been wanting or have been interested in this head for quite a while and now you have the opportunity to get it. I say go for it if you can rule out the first point and have agreement with the second.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='190984' date='May 3 2008, 12:38 AM']IMO, the fact that you're considering it suggests that you should - you don't seem satisfied with what you have now and you've figured out what you'll sell to make it happen; sounds to me like you want to go for it but just need convincing :)[/quote]

+1 to this really.