Why become a member? ×

Dry/wet mix mod to ehx small clone

Mod_Machine

Sorry if in the wrong section - please feel free to chastise me if im at fault though its genuinely not intentional!

Ive read a few people have added a pot to their EHX small clone chorus pedal allowing to mix in more of the dry tone and thus make it a little more 'workable' with bass.

Has anyone done this who can help a novice through the process of adding the pot - e.g where it goes! Lots of info on the net seems to either get far to detailed or contradict itself...though im guessing becasue its only a small part of the greater list of mods associated with adding vibrato etc....

....i just want to pring out a little more of the dry tone!

Many thanks

M_M

[quote name='MarkBassChat' timestamp='1347434680' post='1800638']
I you get any parallel looper pedal (e.g. like this one: [url="http://www.amptone.com/bossls2.htm"]http://www.amptone.com/bossls2.htm[/url] ) , you will be able to do it without any mod and furthermore it will work with any effect.

Mark
[/quote]

this is true unless the pedal inverts the phase of the signal - then parallel mixing won't be possible without a phase inversion option on the blender unit,

there's a list of pedals [i]somewhere[/i] on the internet that say which do and don't invert phase (a lot of modulation effects do), but i'm about to head out and can't find it...sorry

Dry and wet signals in this chorus are mixed with two resistors (22k and 20k as far as I can tell), so the solution is to remove them and replace with e.g. 47k linear potentiometer. To avoid situation that you can change the mix from 0 to 100% (this is not needed since you can simply switch off the chorus if you need 0% wet signal) I would put 2 small resistors in series with the pot (e.g. 4.7k). This will change the range to 10 to 90% which should be OK for you.

Mark

Hi Mark....thats the info im after.

So remove the resisters entirely and just run wiring from where one resistor starts to the pot, and then from the pot to where the other resistor ends....is it really that simple and if so why didnt EHX put this facility on there (like on my bass big muff?)

If it is that simple ill not be selling the pedal!

How do i know which resistor is which? And what difference will it make if i use a larger pot?

It's very simple but not that simple as you think. A potentiometer is a 3-terminal resistor and you have to connect all 3 terminals and not only 2. A potentiometer is a voltage divider exactly as the two resistors that are used in the chorus. The slider of the pot should be connected to the pad where two resistors are connected. EH just didn't consider such a mod to be interesting enough to justify increased costs - you will test whether they were right or not.
As I mentioned before, in order to avoid 0-100% adjustment, you may use 2 additional resistors in series with the pot.
Of course you need to have some soldering skills and schematics reading will be also benefitial. So start with the schematic of the effect first.

Mark

Edited by MarkBassChat