Why become a member? ×

Another P-Bass build. Not 100% sure on the direction yet though...

StevieD_FenderP2009

So then, I recently acquired a black Alder Precision Bass body and as it was black, decided that I was going to build an "all black! P-Bass.

Parts I've ordered (all black unless stated otherwise):

- Alder P Bass body
- Big back high mass bridge
- 1 ply pickguard
- Bridge and pick up ashtray covers
- Fender 4 bolt neck plate
- Circular official Fender string tree
- Thumb rest
- Strap buttons
- Flat top tele style knobs
- CTS 250k split shaft volume and tone pots (not black but not seen luckily)
- Switchcraft input jack (chrome... bugger!)
- Maple Precision Bass neck from Dangleberry Music (awaiting delivery of the neck)
- Copper cavity shielding
- 4 official Fender american vintage 70's tuning pegs (chrome with Fender logo, awaiting delivery from Muricuuuuh!)

I couldn't find the tuning pegs in the right shape in black (I want them to be that American Vintage style so they match the ones on my 87 Fender P-Bass and Steve Harris signature P Bass) so I just ordered these ones.

Probem I've now encountered is that I've recently started listening to and admiring Phil Lynott... Need I say anymore? You some of you may now say "But that's going to cost you more money to build one like his..."
...Unfortunately it's not really. I already have a solid brass chrome plated P Bass pickguard sitting here un-used that was going to go on my '87 P Bass but as that has just sat there doing nothing, doesn't look to be getting used for a long time but some other bits I have spare already are (again, chrome unless stated)

- 2 flat top tele style knobs
- Mirrored pickguard
- "F" stamped official Fender 4 bolt neck plate (plus a couple of non-logo 4 bolt Fender plates)
- P Bass pick up covers (off white dimarzio style ones)
- Circular official Fender string tree
- Loads of strap buttons and a set of Schaller strap locks ready to be fitted to any bass I choose

Anyway, I've thrown all the black parts I have together to see what it looks like (minus the bridge) and just put my spare de-fretted Sue Ryder bass neck on it so I could line up the pickguard properly. Also, there are no pick ups fitted at the moment. That will come at a later date.

Here's some pics (p!ss poor iPhone 3GS time again!, please note there is still a film on the pickguard but the body really is that battered)

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/Stevie_Dewar/FE985C84-3868-43CB-892B-85E485233929-2383-000001E2E448E65E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/Stevie_Dewar/E8D88EF7-8234-45F9-87B2-0219A0407698-2383-000001E2F02B3762.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/Stevie_Dewar/C6141A57-8EEA-418D-9249-7D0DA60E87A1-2383-000001E2FB131603.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w99/Stevie_Dewar/E7A2DDA6-5BC0-4C84-84EE-2F45DFA93674-2383-000001E316F69D33.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

Used it for a gig on Friday night and unfortunately, the rig I had to run it through along with the dead flatwounds made it sound like crap. I borrowed a knackered old Trace Elliot rig that really needed to be thrown in to an incinerator as it has seen (and heard) better days. No bottom end or mids what so ever even through a 4x10 and 2x15 pairing.

Anyway, the bass is currently all black with the maple neck but fitted with proper Fender American Vintage reverse wind tuner pegs. They're the only non-black hard ware on the bass.

Hopefully once I've got some Roto BS66 strings on it and I can put it through my own rig, it will sound amazing. Pics tomorrow or something...