Why become a member? ×

Wilkinson Jazz bass pickups, black + cream covers *** SOLD ***

I have a pair of Jazz bass pickups made by Wilkinson.

They have the original black covers with the Wilkinson logo, and I also have a set of cream covers that you can have if you want to.

Looking for £12 delivered.

Edited by mcnach

there is no "standard"...

but if by that you meant "ceramic", yup, these are ceramic: two ceramic magnets, one on front and one behind the polepieces. That's nicer than a single magnet under the polepieces because it allows you to ground the polepieces easily with a strip of copper foil, for instance, if you want to.

I don't have a model number for them. They were in a Vintage EJM96 bass.

I'll post pictures later.

edit: How are you liking your GB74? I got one not long ago and I'm quite chuffed with it :)

Edited by mcnach

I love my GB74 I have owned it a long time and never really felt the need to replace it, I love the versatility of it and the way neck feels when playing. The electronics in active mode are not the greatest, especially the mid boost function and it all sounds a little fake but switch it to passive mode and it growls away and responds very nicely to different playing styles ;)

How long have you owned yours for? and what colour?? Blue is best but natural looks lush aswell :)

I am interested in the pickups and eagerly await a picture.

Many thanks

Lucas

Edited by rallyeluke

[quote name='rallyeluke' timestamp='1347123788' post='1797229']
I love my GB74 I have owned it a long time and never really felt the need to replace it, I love the versatility of it and the way neck feels when playing. The electronics in active mode are not the greatest, especially the mid boost function and it all sounds a little fake but switch it to passive mode and it growls away and responds very nicely to different playing styles ;)

How long have you owned yours for? and what colour?? Blue is best but natural looks lush aswell :)

I am interested in the pickups and eagerly await a picture.

Many thanks

Lucas
[/quote]

I totally agree about the GB74!
I am a fan of active electronics, but I dislike the preamp in this bass and always play it in passive mode. I feel the pickups can be better, but I have gigged this bass a couple of times already and I have to say it's done very very well. My plan is to replace the pickups and remove the preamp. I already had a Seymour Duncan SMB4A for the bridge, which is a great pickup, and I have various Jazz pickups for the neck. Probably a Nordstrand NJ4SE. I was not going to spend that much cash on a pickup... but I had one of them die in my Jazz, and bought a replacement. Then, after mentioning this issue in TB, someone from Nordstrand contacted me and they say they will send me a replacement... I already bought the other one, so this could work really well in the GB74, making it an even better bass.
I plan to remove the preamp, leaving a passive tone control and install a midsweep module from John East (which I already have).
But I have to say it's a remarkable bass as it is... as long as you ignore the preamp.

I bought it maybe a couple of months ago. I never had the chance to try one but seemed nice. Then one appeared locally, on gumtree, at a good price (£150), so I had to go and see it. It needed a bit of adjusting to get the action just right, but nothing else. New set of strings, and I did two gigs with it the week after.

Mine is the natural one:

as for the Wilkinson pickups, I just took a couple of pictures.
The cream covers fit the pickups. If the buyer wants them, I'm happy to include them.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='rallyeluke' timestamp='1347447327' post='1800842']
I do want them but they are £20 new and you seem like a top bloke so dont want to ask for money off cheers Lucas
[/quote]

:blink: are they?

so they are!!! I never checked, to be honest. I assumed they'd cost at least twice that!
Thanks for the heads up.
Then I should definitely bring the price down. Maybe £12, including delivery (1st class recorded) and extra covers.

seriously, I had no idea I was so off-target here, thanks for letting me know!
I'm pretty sure they were more expensive 3 years ago. for some reason I had this mental image of "buy it now £37", but I could be mistaken. I am not mistaken often, but occasionally I am :lol:

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1347517948' post='1801820']
Go on then i'll take them, pm me your details and i'll sort payment out tonight.
[/quote]

PM'd

selling on one condition... we must see pictures of the bass after you install them, especially if you use the cream covers ;) :lol: