Why become a member? ×

Digitech CF-7 CHORUS FACTORY

SimonEdward

Hello! :hi:

This is a review of the Digitech: 'CF-7 Chorus Factory' bought for a heavily discounted £54 on-line (including free p&p), which is even less than a Small Clone alone!

I'd been looking for an alternative to my BOSS CE3-B and this fits the bill!!

(I've been playing Bass for around 20-years as a semi-pro and the CF-7 works well with all of the styles of music I play: - Blues, Soul, Funk, Pop and contemporary Christian praise and worship music.)

Features: 10/10
The DigiTech® CF-7 is a Digital stomp-box format pedal with an AudioDNA2 DSP processor chip - which they say is four times more powerful than their previous AudioDNA processor - and Flexible Output Mode™ incorporates cabinet modelling - which is useful when recording without an amplifier.

1/4" mono jack input. Two 1/4" jack outputs allowing either amp or CIT mixer stereo mix output using Flexible Output Mode™. It has three two-in-one concentric controls, to adjust Level, Speed, Depth plus three extra controls for each of the seven different chorus 'models', which are accessed via a seven-way rotary pot selector: -

(#1): DigiTech® Multi Chorus™
(#2): based on Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus (1976 CE-1 replica)
(#3): based on TC Electronic® Stereo Chorus/Flanger
(#4): based on Fulltone® Choralflange™
(#5): based on Boss® CH-1 Super Chorus™
(#6): based on EHX® Small Clone®
(#7): based on Boss® CE-5 Chorus Ensemble™

A decent power source is pretty essential, and a 9.6 Volts DC / 300mA Power Supply is recommended, else a regular 9V Battery (Approximately 4 hours life with continuous usage) will have to do.

I've read other reviews which bemoan the lack of remote access to parameters - especially in Live situations - and the fact there are three BOSS Chorus sounds when just the CE-1 would have done.. Don't let that put you off.

Ease of Use: 8/10
Keep the manual handy! This pedal has so many mode settings that offer so much, it's not easy (but fun nonetheless) getting used to how each control works in relation to the selected model. The easy-to-follow user manual has a multi-page layout showing the different controls available for each model. Just don't expect to work out what everything does in five or 10 minutes. IF I had a delay/looper, I might be tempted to play a sequence and work out what works/sounds best - but where is the fun in that?!?!

Sound Quality: 9/10
For the purposes of this review, my JD Classic Series II was plugged into my Arion PSB-06 pedal board, with the CF-7 in-line between Octave/Wah and Booster/Compressor pedals. Then out to my Trace Elliot GP12 valve pre-amp and into a set of Beyer cans.

I used a dedicated regulated 9V 400mA supply and there was no noticeable increase in hum/noise/hiss etc

I've only owned BOSS CE-2B and CE3-B Chorus pedals before, and the CF-7 definitely sounds like a step up. Some say that if "you haven't owned any of the modelled pedals, how can you compare or know if the models are any good?"; And whilst it's a fair point; to have access to all the different sounds, and be able to tweak them, for just over £50 is unbelievable!

I will admit I went straight for Model (#3): TC Stereo Chorus/Flanger and it's my FAVOURITE because it works with regular groove playing, harmonics/solo and slap/pull. Really versatile.

Reliability/Durability: 10/10
Cast-metal chassis, carbon fiber finish, Non-slip rubber base - Unit weighs 2 lbs (almost double your regular stompbox weight). Built to last forever and ever. Amen.

Customer Support: ?/10
The only slightly interesting thing about the 'Warranty' is that "DigiTech® warrants this product, when used SOLELY WITHIN THE U.S (!!) to be free from defects.." etc etc Surely, an oversight in the small print?

Overall: 9.5/10
Almost a perfect '10', because it's not easy to dial-in sounds on-the-fly. I haven't had a chance to gig with this pedal (yet) but I think it will be fine once I get it dialed in. If lost/stolen, I would definitely replace it with another one. Highly recommended.

If you've got this far.. thanks & god bless.

Edited by SimonEdward