Why become a member? ×

P Bass Fretless Conversion

MarshallBTB

Decided to have a go at converting my old Westfield P to a fretless. It's not a terrible bass for the money, but being my first it was abused pretty bad. Badly resprayed countless times, attacked with all sorts (screwdrivers, hammers, bricks?). Thought it was 'cool' at the time I suppose... :,)

[attachment=116426:IMAG0231.jpg]

Anyway, I want to keep it as free as possible, using odd bits from the shed, and keeping all the orignal hardware/eletronics unless it turns out nice enough to warrent an upgrade!

Those of you who are good at this sort of thing may want to close this page now as I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong. But anyway...

The body was/is in pretty bad shape, so I started off by sanding it down to a decent level, and filling the holes.

[attachment=116428:IMAG0236.jpg][attachment=116427:IMAG0241.jpg]

Out come the frets, bit messy but I don't think it was too bad for a first go.

[attachment=116429:IMAG0246.jpg]

I decided to use a wood filler to fill the frets, as this way it covers the chips that I mananged to put in the neck. Filled the frets, then sanded down with a homemade radius block.

[attachment=116430:IMAG0247.jpg]

I put a light coat of a wood stain I found on it and it actually turned out ok. This is where I am now.

[attachment=116431:IMAG0250.jpg][attachment=116432:IMAG0255.jpg]

I'm not sure what to use to coat it, or if it even needs it, so some advice at this point would be appreciated!

Hopefully I'll get some paints and start on the body this weekend.

Needs a few tweaks but its nearly there.

[attachment=116743:IMAG0261.jpg] [attachment=116744:IMAG0262.jpg]

Need to get a new nut as this one decided to break around the E string when I restrung it. It's playable though.

Sound wise its actually pretty good, and I'm yet to give it a set up but it plays nicely. The necks on these are very skinny for a 'p' bass.

The finish on the body isn't great, but I like the idea of it getting a new dents in it, and it probably won't leave the house so I'm not too bothered!

[attachment=116745:IMAG0263.jpg]