Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do I need a new preamp valve in my Hartke HA3500?

kryptonicwatermelon

Hey all,

I have a secondhand Hartke HA3500 that I really like. I always use the tube preamp, and I usually play for 2 or 3 hours a day. I have it about half a year now, I don't know how long the previous owner had it. Usually it works normal, the tube preamp doesn't give any noise and is pretty loud. When playing in my room, I set the master around 10 o'clock and the preamp about 12 o'clock, with the volume on my Precision not higher than maybe 20 percent. This gives me enough volume. Today I switched it on, and with the same settings it was barely audible. When I turned the preamp up to about 3 o'clock, it was very noisy and the volume wasn't even at the normal level. Turning the volume on my bass up did make it more noisy, but barely louder. I tried switching cables, different basses etc without result. It's not a ground issue, I use the same power outlet as always etc. What I find weird is that when I turn the tube preamp all the way down and use the solidstate preamp, the sound doesn't get louder or less noisy.

When I plugged my bass directly in the effects return of my amp to bypass the preamp, I got a noiseless sound.(not as loud as normal, but I guess that's normal 'cause I'm bypassing the preamp. Correct me if I'm wrong.) So, I think the power stage of the amp works as usual etc.

A couple of minutes I tried it again with the tube preamp etc at normal settings, and surprisingly it was pretty darn loud and noiseless, just as usual. This is how I know my amp. But, after playing for a while, it went again to super low volume and super noisy. Since it's just 1 tube in the preamp, I don't think it's an issue with giving it enough time to warm up.

After what I've read the loss in volume and noisy sound are signs of a dying tube. Can you tell me if this is right? I guess I've eliminated all other factors like cables, bass, cab and powerstage, so only the tube in the preamp remains.
(fyi: here in the Netherlands it's about 30-35 degrees celsius now, could all the problems with my amp be because of the very high temperature?)

I'm glad I discovered this while in the holiday when I don't gig, and the amp didn't crap out during a gig, but I really want to fix this problem before I start gigging again.

I hope you can help me! Thanks in advance,

Reinier

Edited by kryptonicwatermelon