Why become a member? ×

Being a band member

cazzag

I am also relatively new to playing in bands and have got my fingers burnt. It seems to me there are basically two kinds of bands:[list]
[*]Sometimes there is an effective (or actual) MD and it's very simple, you just have to be able to agree with them on what you play. Then, away you go.
[*]More often with low key bands, there is a very inefficient but great fun collective ideas kind of thing. Be really careful that you see eye-to-eye with the other people before joining a band like this because otherwise it is going to drive you nuts :)
[/list]
I am definitely only joining the second kind of band when I know the band members and get on with them.
There tends to be a shortage of bass players because:[list=1]
[*]Not that many people play bass.
[*]Some people who play bass really are not that good (that might include me :) )
[*]Some people who play bass really well struggle to reign themselves in to play what the tune needs and not just show off their chops.
[/list]
This means you should be able to find a band where you fit in but you might have to look around for a bit. And being in a band where you don't totally fit in is a great way to connect with lots of other people!

[quote name='Johnnyc' timestamp='1345027694' post='1772434']
Being in a band can indeed be hard, though I've never been in bands with complete strangers, and definately the best band I've been in was when I was 16, with my older brother and 2 of our best mates. I've never gelled with anyone else as well, songwriting just seemed so easy and we all knew what each other would do before it happened. Yeah we had our arguments but as we were such good mates we'd get over it pretty quick and carry on as normal.
It's so different to the band I'm in now, in terms of the writing process. Back then we'd rock up at practice and my bro would start playing a riff he'd written earlier and we'd all join in and write our parts as we played. Now I'm in a metal/hardcore band, and either the drummer or guitarist will write the entire song (on all instruments) by himself on guitar pro and send it round for us to listen to. Then we say what we do and don't like and get him to change it. Then we learn it at home and play it together at practice. Feels a bit alien to me.
[/quote]

Oh thats interesting......but see, the way how you described your first experience of being in a band, i believe thats how it should be! Can i ask why you dont continue with your friends/family?

However, it sounds like you have a solid way of doing things with your current band. At least you know who is going to do what and they allow you express your musicality. Do your band mates ever write anything that you dont like at all? How do you deal with that?

[quote name='Johnnyc' timestamp='1345028313' post='1772451']
Thats really cool looking at it from that point of view. Very interesting post Jack :) I'll be working out who's filling what role in the coming weeks I imagine. More often than not I'm filling the joker role ;)
[/quote]

Thanks - I just know it changed the way I think about bands. Some would say the joker is the most important role and many times the saviour of the band btw, so big shoes to fill there!

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1345027818' post='1772440']

For the group roles, there will always be leaders and followers, jokers and facilitators etc. When you see the band in this light and can identify who is filling what role, it can make it easier to understand what's going on or how to deal with it. BTW sorry for the long post :)
[/quote]

Nice one...not too long at alll, very much appreciated!

Its is sooooo funny that you mention about the roles, because one of our members decided to give everyone roles during our 5/6th meeting. I do understand it, but thought it was very premature as she doesnt even know us properly. She even gave herself the "joker" role, to which i said " but your not funny". She said i was the" heart" of the group (?!) to which i asked her for an explanation. She then said that i was the "emotional" one....which i still didnt get!

I think the way you have put it does make sense, and i am coming to the conclusion that this band will need a new bass player :-)

Just to throw into this thread disscussion, I think that if all band members of a group have the same musical tastes, that helps a lot. Does anybody disagree with that?

[quote name='cazzag' timestamp='1345029876' post='1772486']
Nice one...not too long at alll, very much appreciated!

Its is sooooo funny that you mention about the roles, because one of our members decided to give everyone roles during our 5/6th meeting. I do understand it, but thought it was very premature as she doesnt even know us properly. She even gave herself the "joker" role, to which i said " but your not funny". She said i was the" heart" of the group (?!) to which i asked her for an explanation. She then said that i was the "emotional" one....which i still didnt get!

I think the way you have put it does make sense, and i am coming to the conclusion that this band will need a new bass player :-)

Just to throw into this thread disscussion, I think that if all band members of a group have the same musical tastes, that helps a lot. Does anybody disagree with that?
[/quote]

Lol, if she's trying to "assign" roles then she is doing it wrong. The secret to these pyschological takes on things is to realise that they are a tool to help us understand what is happening, not to pigeonhole or define people. Roles switch, change and evolve. The most common pitfall is to assume you know and can define everyone, just because you are aware of some physological concepts.

[quote name='2wheeler' timestamp='1345028461' post='1772454'][list]
[*]Be really careful that you see eye-to-eye with the other people before joining a band like this because otherwise it is going to drive you nuts :)
[/list]
[/quote]

too late!! lol

Thought i did see eye to eye, but new things keep creeping in that get alarm bells ringing.

I agree with your 2 different band types - just wish there was a third type ( a mixture of 1 & 2) :-)

[quote name='cazzag' timestamp='1345029876' post='1772486']
[/quote]

I definately agree with that, but at the same time, i kind of disagree. My band and our musical tastes when we started

Vocalist: Softer rock and a lot of metal.
Guitarist: Plain rock stuff, with a tiny little bit of metal thrown in there
Drummer: Indie
Me: Anything from country to pop to the heavier end of metal.

When we started, we started out as a metal band, playing stuff like Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium, but somehow, due to the clashing/merging of all our musical tastes over the first year or so, we turned out to be a pop punk band and it fits how we all play perfectly. None of us know how it happened, why it happened or anything, we just know it did, and it was the best decision we ever made.

So in short, having the same musical taste does have it's advantages, as it gives a good baseline for choosing the genre you want to do, but having totally different tastes can create something none of you ever expected which works better than anyone would've ever thought.

Liam

Yeah I think the first way is better in that it allows you personally to be far more creative, and is super fun. It worked for us, but we were a pop punk band and musically it's not that hard to play or write parts for. Btw the band split up because my brother moved to California and he was the lead vox, rhythm guitar and main songwriter so it couldn't work without him. I still feel as strong a musical connection to him now as I did then and playing with other people is never quite the same; we always seem to jam it out when I go and visit, which isn't often :(
My current band however play alot more technical hardcore/metal music and all the parts really have to fit together well otherwise it'll sound like mush. Thats why it helps to write on guitar pro, although maybe a progression in the writing process would be for the guitarist to write only his part on there, and send it round for the rest of us to program in our parts. I find myself just playing what I'm told alot of the time so would be nice to be able to write my own parts ;)
Yes they've written sections I'm not keen on and I find constructive criticism and encouragement essential in those cases. Funnily enough I don't listen to much metal music although I was quite into it a few yrs ago. The others in the band are into far heavier stuff than I'll ever like.

Aww, i feel for you when you write about your brother - maybe you should live out in California for a bit and see what its like. i'm sure the musical opportunities are 10 fold out there :-)

Your replies are interesting as you mention Guitar Pro. It sounds like something that could possibly help with developing my bass playing :-)

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1345033180' post='1772590']

So in short, having the same musical taste does have it's advantages, as it gives a good baseline for choosing the genre you want to do, but having totally different tastes can create something none of you ever expected which works better than anyone would've ever thought.

Liam
[/quote]

Mmmm, interesting and just what i thought too. It appears you had roughly the same musical tastes. I think a problem in the band i'm in is there are different musical tastes. I had hoped that we would come out with something original, like you mentioned, but its not happening! It just takes a bit more effort with musical tastes but i do believe it is possible

Probably why i am not happy there!....... ;)