Why become a member? ×

Traynor YBA-200 or 300 - Any experience?

danweb22

Had aYBA200, its fine, but not especially valve sounding, which is kind of a win for a well engineered amp, being not really coloured and distorted, but might be better served elsewhere. The are less expensive than Matamp because they are mass produced PCB amps, they are less expensive than Orange because they don't give loads away for exposure. I didn't take mine apart to assess build quality, but it did fall out of the bottom of a flight case and play the gig.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1344523278' post='1765927']
Used to own a YBA300. Great sounding amp and loud as hell! Kinda miss it, but not enough stadium gigs booked to justify it... ;)

Go for it. Great piece of gear!
[/quote]

Did it do clean loud? I have heard that the 200 breaks up early? Cheers!

Hey mate I own a Traynor YBA-300 (bought it off Eddie) it sounds fantastic, granted I do use 2 preamp pedals in front of it but it sounds great by itself! Just tested it a minute ago and it starts to break up at around 6.5 on the gain. Hope that helps. Ps I can carry it in one hand and my cab in the other, that's pretty good going for a valve amp!! No way you could do that with an SVT!
Hope this helps!

Johnny

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1344525599' post='1765976']
Did it do clean loud? I have heard that the 200 breaks up early? Cheers!
[/quote]

I think clean loud is what the YBA300 is all about. Very beautiful, clean, warm bass sound. Sounded great when I used my old Catalinbread SFT in front of it for a little bit of drive. You can use the gain control to make it dirty, but I didn't particularly like the tone it produced like that.

Yeah I set the master at half way and use the gain to adjust the volume. Super clean, and goes ridiculously loud!! of course then I put a bit of overdrive from my pedals on it ;)
I'm so glad that Eddie told me about this amp last year and then sold me his!! :D
cheers mate!