Why become a member? ×

65 Amps Apollo valve bass head

paulflan0151

[quote name='b'boom' timestamp='1346104120' post='1785436']
Because you doubt, I would like to know what is the first true high-end bass amplifier, according to you ?
Ampeg B-15 portaflex or another amp ?
[/quote]

Well, Matamp were making high end amps for bass in the 60s, Hiwatt in the 70s, Burman in the 70s (just checked, been emailed about a 1965 amp specced for bass, transformers are huge), those are all top bollock, and I'm sure some small players were making high end stuff. I had a bass specific Carlsbro made with C-core transformers that are ridiculously high specced components from the 60s, Vampower were making amps in the late 60s and have bass specific models, those are high spec, c-core transformers also. That's just stuff I've owned so I can verify they are high end build quality. The Alembic preamps paired with the super fancy power amps might count, although not particularly excited by the build quality in Alembic pre I've seen inside. Tons of little boutique makers existed, that would have been putting military spec and general hi-fi/radio frequency grade skills into making music amps (like Matamp), and they'll almost certainly have turned sometime out fairly immediately after the electric bass became available as the amp offerings from Fender weren't well suited, and the technology to do it better wasn't anything arcane at the time. Ampeg always were made cheaply.