Why become a member? ×

Tuning Peg Issue

sixdegrees

Hi all,

I've just fitted a Hipshot D-tuner to my Fender P.

I've got 4 wraps around the E string and when I tune up it's fine. But there's quite a bit of free play in the tuning peg when tuning down. Is this because of too many wraps, causing the sting to bind into position? Should I re-string with only 2 or 3 wraps? Or could it be a 'settling-in' issue that will sort itself out over time?

I've also noticed that the spoke has slightly cut into the plate. Is this the issue, and do I have to loosen it off a little, or is this again something that happens with a newly fitted tuning peg?

Any advice very welcome!

Would you believe I've lent my camera out for the day?!

Do you mean vaseline on the contact part of the lever? Done that. And graphite dust on the nut.
It seems to have settled down now but I am wondering if there should be a washer or lubrication between the gear and the back plate? As this seemed to be the issue of grinding/almost locking in place in when tightly in tune.
It's not so much the fact that it's an xtender, just that it grinds as I approach 'E' and the gear digs into the swivel plate.

Edited by sixdegrees

With all due respect, vaseline/cosmoline/petroleum jelly/gel lubricants can seep into the headstock and cause wood deterioration.

I absolutely agree with graphite or teflon powder lubricants. All contact points and string contact points, especially the nut slot, must be lubricated with graphite or teflon powder. Moreover, the nut slot, in addition to being lubricated, must be absolutely smooth and burnished, with a slight back bevel and clean "witness point" at the front of the edge of the nut so the string will intonate properly but not bind or hang when engaging the HipShot.

The E string, with use of the HipShot, will see more stress than the rest of the set, so I recommend purchasing extra E strings in addition to sets so when tone, intonation, or ease of use become an issue, but the rest of the strings sound fine, that the E string can be swapped out.

Oh, yes: I'd say trim one of the windings. Maybe three instead of four, or just enough to make sure to keep the silk leader from binding on the bushing or the post. I wouldn't go as low as two with a HipShot, because of stability issues.

Edited by iiipopes