Why become a member? ×

Suspected Bridge Rattle

willyf87

I have a gotoh 201 installed on a jazz bass and I think the strings are making the springs on the intonations screws rattle. Though I am also not sure if it is the truss rod in the neck. The neck adjusts fine, nothing feels loose to me at all when I make an adjustment, I've literally checked the control plate the pickups, the tuning head and the nut seems cut fine.

When I hit an open E its pretty audible same on the A, also when I fret I can also hear it, it's not completely obvious but I can definitely hear it, it also seems to be coming through my practice amp, I wouldnt have thought anywhere near enough to effect a band situation but it is annoying because I know it is there.

I've tried hitting the back of the neck to see if anything rattles and I couldn't hear anything obvious.

Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone give me an insight as to what to do next

Hit an open A while holding down the string behind the nut. If the noise has gone, it's most likely a break-angle issue which you may be able to alleviate by stringing it in such a way that the strings last wind is held at it's lowest point by the preceding windings. If the noise persists try a very small tweak of the truss rod.

THanks for the advice, but the truss rod has been tightened, the truss rod honestly seems fine in terms of tweakability, its not tight but its definitely not loose either. I've tried holding the string behind the nut to see if the noise was coming from the nut. I know for a fact the truss rod isnt broken because it wouldn't be responding to tweaks, everything else has been taken apart systematically. The tuners also are nice and tight. The only things that seem loose are the springs on the bridge.

I really hope it isnt a truss rod issue, the noise isn't horrendous but I notice it.

That's something I will look into tonight, there doesnt seem to be anything rattling around in the cavities, but its just the same noise slightly amplified. I was assuming that if it was the springs they were hitting the string and that was getting amplified by the pickups.

Well I messed around with everything yesterday, I still think its something to do with the bridge, it's not massively noticeable coming through the amp. The neck adjusts fine and the nut on the truss rod seems fine so unless it's rattling around in the cavity I doubt that it's that. Bit of amystery, I'll just have to get over it!