Why become a member? ×

All Thats Fiction

WalMan

Just added a couple more to the Soundcloud set I have for my band from the 80's - gosh at that time we were Nik Kershaw wannabees :lol:

Link to Soundcloud set - [url="http://soundcloud.com/aka_walman/sets/all-thats-fiction/"]All That's Fiction[/url]

Done with some considerable assistance from 51m0n in fixing as best as possible the guitars, which suffered worst in the transferring from the 1/2 inch multitracks, and were done on a crappy Session solid state combo anyway so have that very scratchy 80's feel.

I have re-recorded some lead guitars (where my limited skills and big fat fingers allow) using my Peavey EXP & Amplitube and mixed those in. Also went mad and did a major rework on one (just keeping kit & vox) and will eventually put both versions as I get around to it (& #2 stops b1tching about lag everytime I upload :angry: )

Currently we have:[list]
[*]Storyteller 2012 - the rework
[*]Corridors of Power
[*]The Worker - redid the bass with the L2500 fretless instead of the old Shergold Marathon, and added a smidge of B3
[*]Missing Persons
[/list]
Generally they are standard 80's pop rock of a sort of Nik Kershaw / Go West type (VERY SORT OF) though MrsW has just said Stray Cats when I played her The Worker :o

More to follow, if you can stand it

• 1 month later...

New song added to the set called "Big Wheel". Always thought that this was a good catchy song.

Not a lot done to this one. Added a slight auto panner to a section of the guitar and some extra horns using IK Sampletank

I'd be interested in comments generally & on the mixes.

Depending where I listen to this I sometimes think the bass is too much, then again sometimes it disappears, for example on the system in my Audi it's verging on too much, but in the BMW X1 I had as a courtesy car. it just disappeared. And that's not to suggest that that car audio systems are the best place to review a mix, just one of many I bounce them around to.

There are certainly bits of basslines that I want to re record all these years down the line, but that's another matter. There's a couple that always get me where the first part of a libe I dont play stacatto, but then I switch to a more clipped style that works better. Remembering back all the parts were tracked over a long weekend at a local 8 track studio, and we did around ten songs that w/e. All shortish 3 or 4 minute affairs, but still it was a lot to get through & self produced so noone to say "don't you think it'd be better to make that bass part more consistent?"

Sort of have in mind to try to get them onto somewhere like eMusic and see if I can get a couple of pence towards what it has cost me so far just in digitising the tapes. I know I'll be lucky to get anything much, but some of the mixes I hear on my monthly trawl for new music to download for my sub there (eMusic) makes me think these are a great deal better than some of the desperately dodgy that can be found...or perhaps I'll just be adding more dodgy stuff to the pile.

Edited by WalMan