Why become a member? ×

Other Solo Instruments

BassMan94

So I've dipped myself into the world of soloing, slightly. What I,ve noticed alot of Youtube teachers say that learning solos from other instruments eg saxophone, trumpet and so on will eventually increase your own abillity in soloing and even change your outlook on it.

What im asking is has anyone experimented with learning solos from any jazz standards and applied them on bass ? Worth it putting the grueling practice hours for this ? Or just stick to bass solos ?
I know it cant be useless to learn but y'know

Cheers guys

Very much so and its is an established tradition going back throughout the history of jazz.

Louis Armstrong, Lester Young, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Bill Evans, Bud Powell... the list of soloists who have influenced generations of jazz musicians on other instrument is endless. I have transcribed Parker, Coltrane, Gerry Mulligan, Joe Lovano, Miles, Cannonball Adderley, Branford Marsalis, Wynton Marsalis, Michael Brecker, Mike Stern, Javier Navarette, Astor Piazolla, Gary Burton, Pat Metheny.... the list goes on. Bass players tend to think in a certain way whilst horn players and other instrumentalists think in different ways and transcribing solos from other disciplines allows you to braoden your perspectives on the art of the soloist. It is not only time well spent, it is arguable the BEST way to spend time. You learn a lot about phrasing, rhythm and note choice that may otherwise escape you