Why become a member? ×

Replacement Machine Heads

Kesh

I'm looking for some machine heads for a junk shop bass I found, the heads are kind of there, just not the elephant ears needed to turn the shaft.

So I need either the ears (does that part have a name? The key?) or full replacement.

Ears/keys alone seems unlikely, so I'm thinking a new set of heads, but I'd like them to slot write in to the existing drill holes and shaft and almost no merchants provide tech drawings, and those few that do weren't right.

The headstock is a cheap peavey, and the machines are the open "vintage" style. Closest I've seen is Schaller BM style, but that's not quite right. Peavey don't make the bass and don't seem to stock the part anymore.

Edit: Ok, I found out it's called the button.

Edited by Kesh

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1343611463' post='1752739']
I would try contacting someone at Peavey on the off chance that they'll be able to steer you in the right direction. Send it to Peavey USA though... The UK division are bloody hopeless!
[/quote]

Now be fair... they're not that good! Never been treated so badly by anyone, ever... well, 'cept my ex-missus, and the bloke who mugged me that time!

Yes they truly are crap. They took payment for an part that it transpired they hadn't had in stock for 5 years. I made daily calls to find out what was going on and didn't get a decent answer for 3 weeks, then it took me 12 weeks to get my money back when they finally revealed that they didn't stock the part!

So then I wrote to Peavey US, they said have you tried Peavey UK? I said yes, she said 'oh' and told me i didn't need the part, and sent me a link to a post on a forum showing me how to fix it in 5 minutes!

To the OP, you might have to bite the bullet and fill the current holes and just get some proprietary ones e.g. Wilkinson etc. off eBay. If you go for the 70s Fender style Gotoh ones they are massive so should easily cover the holes you have!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1343899017' post='1756895']
To the OP, you might have to bite the bullet and fill the current holes and just get some proprietary ones e.g. Wilkinson etc. off eBay. If you go for the 70s Fender style Gotoh ones they are massive so should easily cover the holes you have!
[/quote]Head stock is quite small. I guess filling isn't such a bad option. Time to find some matchsticks.