Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Another GK 212MBE / Neo 212-II / Cabinet Size Question

Sharkfinger

Like many, I like the promise and price of the 212MBE cab and I'm not scared of doing a little tweaking. However, what advantage (other than build quality) does it have over the Neo212-II cab?

Looking at the manuals, the specs are virtually the same, in terms of power handling and frequency response. The only obvious physical difference is cabinet size.

From reading other posts, I gather that a physically bigger enclosure means better low end response and sensitivity. Is that correct? If so, is it better to bite the bullet and get the bigger cab, even though it's more than twice the price?

In terms of portability, the obvious choice is the 212MBE with it's smaller size and footprint, hell I could get 2 for about the same price as a Neo 212-II and as I said, do the bracing and padding myself.

Thoughts, please.

TIA

Also bear in mind that the tweeters in the MBE cabs (as are all the "hardware bits") will almost certainly of inferior quality to those on the neo cabs. One thing that is the same is the woofers though.
Also, even if you brace the MBE cab it will not be as sturdy as the neo cab will be. Bracing is only bracing after all. Also the plywood and the joints etc in the actual cab structure will all be of higher quality in the neo cabs.
I'd say if you can afford the neo cab get it. If you can't then it's simple, surely. THe MBE cabs are what they are. Good for the price, but built down to the price.
Oh, BTW, I do own a neo 212 II cab, and am very pleased with it.

Well, that certainly answers the question in regards to the build quality of the two GK cabs, thanks.

What I'd still like to know the answer to is the question of enclosure size. All things being equal, does the larger enclosure of the Neo give it an advantage over the MBE?