Why become a member? ×

Best Nickle-plated rounds or GW Steels?

sixdegrees

Hi all - yes, another 'which string' thread.

I've recently been using Fender 7250Ms on my basses (Jazz, and mostly Precision) but want to know what else is out there without the expense of trying new strings out blind.
I used to use Roto 66s but the constant fret crowning with every new set of strings put me off. So I moved to the Roto 55s (pressure wound) but then the price put me off!

Can anyone recommend good strings that are either nickel plated steels with a bright tone, or has anyone used GW Elites?
I play rock/metal covers, so please don't suggest flats!

GHS Brite Flats are pretty good (groundwounds, not flats!!) feel really weird at first but once you get used to it they are good strings. In all honesty though, flatwounds might be worth a go! Geezer Butler and Ben Shepherd both use flats as does Cliff Williams

I've tried most of the strings going, and have now setteld on D'Addario XL nickels as they seem to keep their 'zing' longer than most i.e. I can usually get more than one gig out of them. If my local shop doesn't have those, D'Addario Pro Steels. Tried a set of their 'new' coated strings a while ago with no discernable difference.