Why become a member? ×

workbench / testbed bass - what do i mean?.... read on.... FS / FT

rogerds

anyone else get worried about changing pickups / active circuitry / configuration / or even physically modding your main bass when you really don't have much idea about how its going to sound ?

Here we have a good quality 'budget' bass - Jazz-style from Hodson (branded & imported from the far east somewhere) (see www.hodsonguitars.co.uk)

High gloss black finish - difficult to take a good photo without reflections - all the marks on the body (apart from the scratchplate screwholes) are artefacts - theres hardly a scratch - you can see how mirror-like it is with the shot of the back showing the camera!

Neck is Jazz'ish - 1 1/2 at the nut and 2 1/2 at the 21st and comfortable and straight - truss rod works ok too
Set up is medium low - little bit of buzz on 'E' and 'A' at the top - nothing much though

1 - the body carefully routered (?) to take precision or jazz pickups in the neck position (typical PJ or JJ setup)
2 - and a battery box added to the back with the trailing lead fed through to the control cavity
3- jack socket added to the side of the body (jack socket with x3 connections for active configuration)

see the pics - all done without affecting the structural integrity of the body!

why ??

I don't think you know how pickups etc are going to sound until you use them in a live, real gig, situation to see how they work in the mix.....so i wanted something whereby i could check out things like different pickups - Bartolinis / EMGs / Kent Armstrongs / humbucking or active vs passive or even the Audere Jazz preamp (built into the control plate) (selling soon!) to give me just an idea without taking a saw to my main bass!
But it still had to look good enough to play in a class function band..

so this bass let me try all sorts of combinations out... most of which i'll be offering when i get round to it !

Comes with x2 virtually unmarked scratchplates - one for two 'jazz' pickups and one for P/J
(both have holes in for the neck pickup cover - cause thats how i play....)

The pickups currently fitted are cheap Jazz-style and should be swapped out at the earliest opportunity (in my opinion!) - but they do work
currently wired in 'standard' fashion (with messy soldering - been on and off several times..) to the jack socket in the control plate

Think i'm settled now (hmmmm... i guess we all think that - till the next attack ;) so i'm offering it as it is in case anyone finds it useful!

thanks for wading through that lot... so ... how much??

yours for just £79 ! or would consider trades / px - esp a half-decent electro-acoustic 6 string ?

courier (uninsured) - probably about £10 / 12 - but welcome to come and try / inspect (i'm in Poole on the sunny .. well... less wet maybe... south coast)

[attachment=112614:hodson 01.jpg]

you are *absolutely* right - of course ! - totally agree - i did say 'just to give an idea'.... rather than gouge out the rare exotic wood of your quality bass....

and a quick plug for you - because your basses (lettsguitars) do look drop dead gorgeous - and they look as if they sound good too !

hmmm... perhaps if i listed it as 'bitch for sale' ..... may get a bit more interest ? :)