Why become a member? ×

Fettled Fender 2 - the Mexicans strike back

Dr.Dave

So - following on from the Precision post here's the Jazz I bought only a few weeks ago. If you read that you'll get some idea of why I've done what I've done on this Jazz so here's a link....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17846"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17846[/url]

I joked at the time about the 'Midnight Blue' looking more like half ten but in these pics it looks even earlier - about like the adverts in Coronation Street at this time of year. Must get a decent camera.

I bought this knowing great changes would ensue - mostly based on my reasoning/experiences with the 73P - so thinking only the wooden bits would be staying I didn't see much point in shelling out more coin for a US Jazz , only to chuck half of it away.
This was £150 off the bay. Same as I paid for the Precision 30 years ago. There's irony.

Set of Dunlops went straight on , before I even tried it with a strap , and away went the plain white scratch plate to be replaced by this pearly white fella. The knobs were of the placcy stratty variety and went off to Silverfoxnik for his Roscoe. These chrome/mop top jobbies (to sort of mirror what I've done with the 73P) came from Axes R Us - as did the Dunnys and the scratchplate.

And so to Mr Badass - a last minute steal (from the 73P where it had lain undisturbed for many years) half an hour before the gig I wanted to try the bass out at. Never had the saddles filed. Dropped straight in , being a II , and though I checked the intonation at the gig through my korg rack tuner and poked at the saddle screws with the point of a Lee Enfield bayonet (because the allen key got nicked a while back) there was bugger all to do in terms of adjustment.
I'm sure in this day and age there'a a dozen products that give as much improvement over the stock baked bean tin that Fender use but I like Badass , and I'm always right , so that's that.

Not much I can tell you about the Wizzard 84's that hasn't been raved about elsewhere on the forums. I'm really pleased with the sound ,and with the help and service Wizzard offered. The stock Mex ones were OK , just a little weedy and probably the single most useful upgrade to a Mex is the PUPs......or the bridge , but they're rubbish on all Fenders wherever they're made.

Don't forget , playmates , that upgrade J sets are likely to be 2 different sizes (for neck and bridge routing) but this Mex body was 2 routings the same - both bridge size. As the scratchplate was a replacement 'proper' size the neck pup wasn't a prob. but , weirdly, the bridge was. 2 coats of laquer too tight. The cheapest bit is the pup cover so I went at it with a kitchen knife til it slid into place. The pared off bits are below the level of the body so you can't see a thing. Painless.

There's that second string guide again - see Fettled Fender 1 for explanation.

The Fender logo was half coming off this one - sure that's part of the reason for the cheapish price. Think the dude must have been trying to erase the Mex serial number with a hammer or something. Whatever. I had this 70's one kicking about. Easy to put on and then a few coats of spray laquer , nothing spesh - just the stuff they sell in Wilkinson.

The sharper eyed amongst you will have seen a lump of metal sticking out. That's a Hipshot BT4 Bass extender key. 'But Doc , you dozy Northern monkey' I hear you exclaim 'that's the wrong model number for a Mex J'.
Fair comment - so let's turn it over and see why.

I was going to hawk around for a set of Schaller M4S tuners - a la 73P - but I saw these fancy Fendery fellas of very similar design for sale singley at Bass Parts Resource. So I bought 3. The matching Hipshot was from a US ebay shop. The old tuners went off to Sir Rich of Bristoltown for his old Squier Jazz that he's done up for his son while I got the Black and Decker out and drilled the 2 holes per tuner into the headstock to accept the pins that are part of this M/C design. I could lie and say I made some fancy template or tell the truth and say I blagged it but whatever - they're near enough spot on. You can't see the old screw holes at all. The front ferrule just screws on helped by a 19mm spanner.

Never used or installed a de-tuner before. Pretty easy to do though the printed instructions were the wrong ones for this model and crap anyway. The litlte video demo on the Hipshot website is all you'll need.
Have to get used to the bottom string going out of step now - playing by numbers etc - bloody useful thing to have though and it works very well.

Final touch which you can't see. The nice shiny 70's Fender neck plate complete with big F and the number 384915. Had that in a drawer for years and knew I'd find a use for it.

There you have it. 2 Fenders fettled by my own fair hands - I hope you can see some method in my madness and if I've encouraged anybody to think about making practical changes to their tools of their trade I'll be well pleased.

Edited by Dr.Dave

Last night was the first gig it's done as a 'complete' project.

It sounds excellent. Woody.I was hammering it a bit late on and the sound started to break up a little but not more than what's explainable. I only had one cab too last night so the volumes were up on the amp.

The d-tuner I was only brave enough to use once!! Bit fearful of cocking the tunes up. I'll have a bit of a practise before I try it again. Works very well though , esp if you follow the video tips on the Hipshot website.
I might put one on the Shuker.

I'm looking at my sound quite a bit at the mo. I'm finding it lacking esp playing hard. Think it's a style thing rather than an equipment one but I'm doing more knob twiddling to compensate and making things worse!!

[quote name='Rayman' post='187095' date='Apr 28 2008, 12:02 PM']Are you still with Dr Blue? It'll look smart along side the guitarists blue Les Paul assuming he still has it.[/quote]

Since you saw us, Russ, we've aquired a drummer with a blue kit too!! Dr B is still going strong and we do the ZZ trib band too.
Websites are in my sig.

Sadly Rodders traded his blue Les Paul for a tobacco sunburst one just a couple of weeks ago.

You'll remember the P that's in fettled Fender (1) I expect. I recall us sitting out on the grass at Colne with young Homer and having a play about on it.

OOps - just looked at the pics from Colne on the webbo and Martyn WAS drumming with us then. Not on his blue drums though - generic kit for the fest.

Edited by Dr.Dave

• 2 months later...

Oh dear

All these kind remarks and interest only a few weeks back and now I have to announce that Fettled Fender 2 has been broken up and scattered to the 4 corners of the country.

We just weren't getting on. I couldn't get over my lifelong prejudice against the off-set waist of a Jazz body. I thought I'd grow comfortable with it like the time I bought slippers a size to small. Didn't happen - my mistake.

Some parts of it - one or two - are sitting on my window sill beside me as I type. But not for much longer. I'm off to my Dads with a few groceries for him and a bit of nosebag while my drill charges but when I get back they're going straight on to.......

Fettled Fender 3 !!!!!!!!

The anticipated arrival of which administered the final coup de gras to this poor , sad , child of Mexico.

One hour ago - the Japanese moved in. Like Pearl Harbour - to finish the enemy in one strike. But , like on that day of infamy the aircraft carriers (in the guise of the Mex J) had already fled.

I'm not known for hanging about - so watch this space for a new thread , about half eight tonight I should think unless Girls Aloud pop round to borrow a cup of sugar.

'Oooh Dr' - said Cheryl - 'that's a big stethoscope , maybe I should take off all my clothes and my friends should too'

Could happen.

In which case it'll be nearer half 9 when I sort the bass.

I am 46 you know !!! Too old to rush !!

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='johnnylager' post='230576' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:44 PM']Oh dear indeed. Medic - this man needs help! And you'll have to wait 'till I've finished with Girls Aloud. Won't be long :) :huh:[/quote]

A young bull and an old bull saw a herd of cows. The young bull said 'Let's charge over and shag a few'
The old bull said 'No - let's stroll over and shag them all'