Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

FT: 1962/3 Vox AC30 Head, Copper Panel

I have a 1962/3 AC30 head for grabs. Not really interested in selling it, prefer a part ex or a straight trade.

It is a 1962 or 1963 head, likely to be late '62 according to the serial number (9885). They did make some heads and combos in '62 with black tolex.

I know the word 'rare' is used far too much but these heads [i]are[/i] rare relative to the combos.

It's a big beast, about the same width as a Marshall 100 watt head but deeper, the photo below gives an idea - the head is on a 70s slant cab. It's also heavy but with 3 handles it's easy to carry.

The amp is, as far as I'm aware, 100% original
bar one tiny resistor and one or possibly two of the preamp valves. The output valves and most of the preamps are the original Mullards.

It has the original Woden transformers.

All three channels work superbly with virtually no noise - there are Brilliant, Normal and Vib/Trem channels. The vibrato and trem are the best I've ever heard - beat the hell out of any pedal.

The amp has its original footswitch which works perfectly.

The amp is loud and sounds wonderful - it runs on 4xEL84s, 4xECC83s and 1xECC82. The Rectifier valve is the original Mullard. There are no issues at all. The cab is in amazingly good condition as is the chassis.

There are more photos on my photobucket page, including shots of the chassis/internal components, but can take any number of specific photos if needed.

[url="http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/surfguy13/Vox%20AC30%20head%201963/#%21cpZZ1QQtppZZ24"]http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/x...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24[/url]

This amp is well loud enough for sizable gigs but also copes well at low volume. It is used almost daily so it hasn't just gathered dust as many of these old amps do.

I'm interested in a Tom Anderson or a Les Paul. Would also consider vintage solid body, Fender or Gibson. Please PM me if you are iunterested.

Cheers

Guy