Why become a member? ×

Help with string choice

alloy70

Ok ive recently purchased a landscape swing bass artist,im very happy with the instrument,however the strings are pretty dead,im guessing but i think the strings on the bass are some sort of DAddario hybrids,green at the end.My other bass is strung with thomastik spirocore medium gauge.these strings are not cheap but still i dont think they are right for me.what is the difference between light gauge strings and medium gauge?would i prefer these strings if they were light gauge.Is it just a mater of trial and error when buying strings?are expensive strings always better than cheap strings?could anyone help me with string choice and more importantly deciding on medium or light gauge.If anyone could give me some advice on Rotosoundrs400,Coreli,DAddario strings would be great,im gigging at the moment in three peice,we play a mixture of everthing from original stuff to covers,the sound im lookin for is to try and replicate as much as possible to an upright bass,i know that they are two dirrerent instruments,but i think you understand what i mean..cheers.

The answer to your question is, yes, it is down to trial and error. But DB strings a very expensive to just try and find out you don't like them.

Are you using a magnetic or bridge pickup. That will dictate what core you have in a string. Synthetic core strings will not work with mag pickups.

I use Flexocor strings on my NS CR. Lovely sound and as close to a DB with an EUB. I have also used Belcantos, just as good.

There are some sound samples of different DB strings in this link.

[url="http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php"]http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php[/url]

Hi purpolaris the ball ends on the bass are all gold in colour.The g d a string have a red winding attached to the ball end with a gold stripe,the e string has a green winding with gold stripe?,thanks bassbus,yes it has a landscape original PB-U magnetic pickup,fishman USA under tranducer.i will check out the flexocor,and belcantos.thanks so much for your help,i will check out the different sound samples you sent me. :rolleyes: