Why become a member? ×

Fusion-Metal-Dubstep mashup thing

urb

OK this seemed like a good idea at the time - just trying to mash a few things together - the tune's nt quite finished but I really fancied whacking on the distortion for once and going for it... anyway hope you enjoy some of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SJ0F_gJm4

Cheers

Mike

Hey Mike,

I'm a bit late to this particular party! Just given it a listen... that middle section is pretty damn crazy! I'd say it's more metal than dubstep, although the drums/percussion have a definite dubstep flavour (clever how you change the drums on the fly - I'm assuming some Ableton magic or something?).

Amazing playing as always. The only constructive comments I can give are: 1) EQ the distorted section so that it's more 'gutsy' - it sounds a wee bit thin at the moment (although it's nice and clear); and 2) I'd personally work on the middle section as a separate track, rather than bookend it with the cleaner, more funky parts - they don't quite sit together at the moment, although I appreciate this is a jam!

Anyway, nice work mate and very creative :)

Paul

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1339358955' post='1687454']
Hey Mike,

I'm a bit late to this particular party! Just given it a listen... that middle section is pretty damn crazy! I'd say it's more metal than dubstep, although the drums/percussion have a definite dubstep flavour (clever how you change the drums on the fly - I'm assuming some Ableton magic or something?).

Amazing playing as always. The only constructive comments I can give are: 1) EQ the distorted section so that it's more 'gutsy' - it sounds a wee bit thin at the moment (although it's nice and clear); and 2) I'd personally work on the middle section as a separate track, rather than bookend it with the cleaner, more funky parts - they don't quite sit together at the moment, although I appreciate tJhis is a jam!

Paul
[/quote]

Hey Paul

Thanks for such considered comments - I agree with all the critical points - to be honest I'm not sure where this track is heading and I like all the parts but like you say I'm not sure they belong together :) - but I'm up for trying new ideas at the moment so some successes and some failures are inevitable!

Re the thinness in the sound I think you'll hear the lower frequencies better on headphones or big speakers - there is a sub bass on that bit but I think the mid/high frequencies are dominating too much - re the tempo changes this track is all done in Logic and not Ableton - I've rediscovered my love of Logic and working up rich sounds in that - I'll create clips from this for Ableton at some point for now I just want to work on parts and ideas - I just thought I'd do the classic half time dubstep thing on the heavy bits... anyway glad you enjoyed some of it - thanks for the feedback .

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1339358955' post='1687454']
: 1) EQ the distorted section so that it's more 'gutsy' - it sounds a wee bit thin at the moment (although it's nice and clear);

Paul
[/quote]

Hey Paul - sorry for the re-bump but I just stuck the headphones on and listened again to this on YT and the middle bit has some pretty decent sub bass going on - I agree overall it's err-ing on the 'clean' side, and could do with a bit more crunch, a la metal - anyway the old MP3/Youtube compression has really brought the bass out on this tune - still not sure what I make of it... thanks again for listening & watching y'all

Cheers

M