Why become a member? ×

Mesa 400 vs SVT 4 Pro

Mark_Bass

I've been playing my Mesa m-pulse for a few years and there's days it sounds awesome ad days I spend more time tweaking the sound than playing.
Time for a change and brought cheaply, a Warwick tube path, great sound, then it went bang. Luckily got my money back, so next I went to the other end of the spectrum and picked up a genz Benz shuttle 9.2, with oodles of volume for no weight, but I just didnt really fall in love with the amo (now on sale).
So now I'm thinking of going back towards the heavy end of the spectrum and looking at either a Mesa 400+ or a Ampeg SVT 4 Pro.
So I'd like some thoughts, feedback or suggestions. Is one more reliable than the other?

( I play rock and metal with a Warwick 5string with a ampeg 410HLF can)
Thanks for reading

-M

I own a 400+, and tonally I think it would be right up your street. I tried mine against an Aguilar DB750 today (not really comparable, though isn't the ampeg svt 4 a tube preamp and mosfet output like the aggie?), and I have to say I felt the Mesa had more balls. That's not to say the aguilar wasn't good - it was great - but comparing the two was like apples and oranges, and I feel you'd probably have the same issue.

For what it's worth, the aguilar was quite polite, and I felt it had more tonal variation potential to it. It was quite musical, and I think it would sound great in any setting.

The mesa on the other hand is just an absolute beast, and while others I think will probably argue with me over this I think it's limited. What it does it does brilliantly - a ballsy, punch you in the face tone - and I don't think any other amp can beat it in those situations. However, I think it would struggle in environments that weren't rock or metal. Also it weighs loads and as I'm finding out to my horror now retubing it costs a fortune.

As for reliability, I've mentioned the retubing aspect, but my Mesa seems pretty tank like.

Also, while I remember, it's worth thinking about the cab you pair it with - I thought the aguilar cab I messed around with today really took away from the rawness of the Mesa's sound.

So really, it's up to you, but I don't think it'll be easy to make a choice until you've tried both.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT - another point, again realise they're not directly comparable (the aggie and svt4) but the aggie couldn't touch the mesa for that tubey, high gain sound. It sounded good, but not as good. I think the aggie sounded better clean. So depending on how you like to run your tone that could be a factor

Edited by ashevans09

I had a first generation SVT4 (1998) and to be honest I was continually disappointed with it. If it didn't have the Ampeg logo on the front I'd have changed it much quicker. It was alright, but never had the authority that I felt it should, particularly given the huge wattage it parades so strongly.
Once I'd sold the SVT4 (and keep in mind I had it for 10 years so I gave it a good shot) I've had an SVP-Pro (so the preamp section) and separate generic poweramp and was faaaaaar more impressed with the tone it put out there. Crucially the SVP had a drive control whereas the SVT4 only had the basic gain level. It's just far more ballsy and can be pushed harder.

(This isn't meant as a plug, but aforementioned SVP and poweramp are in the for sale section at the moment, sadly)

EDIT: I was using a 410HLF too, and using Musicman and Warwick at the time.

Edited by coasterbass

[quote name='coasterbass' timestamp='1337113445' post='1655789']
I had a first generation SVT4 (1998) and to be honest I was continually disappointed with it. If it didn't have the Ampeg logo on the front I'd have changed it much quicker. It was alright, but never had the authority that I felt it should, particularly given the huge wattage it parades so strongly.
Once I'd sold the SVT4 (and keep in mind I had it for 10 years so I gave it a good shot) I've had an SVP-Pro (so the preamp section) and separate generic poweramp and was faaaaaar more impressed with the tone it put out there. Crucially the SVP had a drive control whereas the SVT4 only had the basic gain level. It's just far more ballsy and can be pushed harder.

(This isn't meant as a plug, but aforementioned SVP and poweramp are in the for sale section at the moment, sadly)

EDIT: I was using a 410HLF too, and using Musicman and Warwick at the time.
[/quote]

Also owned an SVP and put it through a Mesa Strategy 400 (the power section of a mesa 400) and it was boss. Can recommend this too!

I've used my Bass 400 over the last couple of decades playing pretty much every kind of style of music and I would say that I reckon (with the right cab) every sound you want is in there.

When I first got it (in early 1989) I wasn't always enamoured (and even went back to using a pair of Orange heads) but after about 6 months I got the hang of the various controls (and how they interact) and cracked it.

Believe me, that head (and I also have a 400+ now) is capable of any sound at any volume once you've sussed out how it works and that's the important bit.

That said my only experience of SVT's is as a supplied amp on foreign tours and I've never been a big fan - though I am happy to admit it may be because I haven't done 'the apprenticeship' on it. Boogie for me though - every time.