Why become a member? ×

Truss rod nut threads gone

Ska Man

Greeting bass genuis's,
I've picked up a Mexican Jazz 5 recently and have discovered the truss rod nut has been removed and according to the previous owner the rod itself has damage on the threads. Ive seen the Youtube video where a guy repairs one in a few seconds but is this problem really fixable or should I start saving for a new neck? The action is still quite playable all the same but Im sure time will eventually warp the neck. What is the general answer to this problem?
Thanks,
Mick

Depends whether its the thread on the nut or the rod itself. If its just the nut you can replace for under a tenner with hardly any skills. If its the rod itself you'll have to weigh this one up. I believe Stewmac make a truss rod repair kit, but its not cheap. Basically you re-thread the rod and put an according nut on there.

The other option, if its the rod, is popping the fingerboard/skunk stripe, removing the old unit and replacing - which does require special skills...

I'm sure 120 members will come down on me like the proverbial pile of bricks, but I don't think the truss rod does anything to prevent warps - it just adjusts the neck relief. As such, I reckon if your action is OK then leave well alone. The neck is not likely to warp - if it was going to it already would have done and I doubt a truss trod would be able to do anything about it.

I bow to the greater knowledge of the 120 piles of bricks but that's my own experience, anyway. :rolleyes: