Why become a member? ×

My First Bass Build

yepmop

[quote name='JoshL' timestamp='1340112741' post='1699254']
Wow, that looks really nice, how difficult was it to get the finish done to that level, still deciding whether to refinish mine when I upgrade it or not.
[/quote]
it's a bit of a messy process, you can either use paint stripper like I did, or use Heat Gun or a sander each process has it's own pros and cons. I would have got a "smoother" finish If I had applied a "wood sealer" coat as I had gone through it in parts of the body and thought (wrongly as it turned out) the primer would cover it up.

I used 2 cans of Halfords White Primer and 2 cans of a Fiat yellow car spray and Probably at least a can of Nitro for the finish, the cost of the respray including the Nitro was around £32.

I've seen some people (on the internet) only take the top coat off the body then just prime over that, but not sure with those extra coats how it will affect the sound.

if you can put up with the mess I'd say give it a go, It's quite good fun but does have its scary moments.

Is your bass in need of a new re-spray?

Edited by yepmop

It's not "in need" of a respray bar a chip I managed to take out of the paint in the first week of having the bass. It's more that I fancy a change and this seems like a good time to do it as I'll have the bass in bits anyway to put on the new bridge, electronics and pick guard.

Well more or less completed, overall not a bad job but the next one I do will be better because of the lessons i've learnt.

Bbest bit of advice for those wanting to try a built for the first time is - TAKE YOU TIME.

I'm going to plug and redrill the neck as I messed that up originally and although it plays and sounds fantastic, I'll always know it's slightly misalighned. I've bought some steel inserts to try as I only need to move the neck by a couple mm, but can't move the neck or shim to get it 100% straight at the mo.

I'm just need to finish off setting the action up etc, but the pickups are at an angle for some reason but I think its probably down to the rubber I put underneath them being too narrow possibly.

Insulation added

[attachment=111573:body ins.jpg]

Completed(ish)

[attachment=111569:2012-06-27 06.10.20.jpg]

[attachment=111572:body.jpg]

It's been fun (and rather messy at times) and thanks to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/5060-al-heeley/"][color=#282828]Al Heeley[/color][/url] who helped with some tips and advice.

Edited by yepmop

Took it out to a band practice session and all was good apart from the pickup mounting screws kept popping out and I think it's down to the wrong springs were sent with the pickups and I've only ever seen these types used with 6 string humbucker pickups.

The springs are tapered and this maybe why the Pups tilt to one side all the time (I've also put the springs on both ways and it still happens).

I Have now ordered new screws and springs from Papa Ds, so hopefully this will cure that problem.

I'm waiting for some Chinese chop sticks to arrive so I can use them to pug the neck holes prior to the re-drill, It's just a brainwave i had to negate drilling the holes larger to plug, I'll probably be proved wrong but hey at least I'll know not to listen to my brain next time :)

Cheers

Edited by yepmop