Why become a member? ×

GK 700RB-II US made convert to UK

Junglerog

I've got myself a nice gift from my last family trip to Florida, used GK-700RB-II in excellent condition.

I've already did a research and I know it is possible to convert the voltage to the UK standard.
As a matter a fact the procedure is apparently very easy and will take a qualified electrician no more than 10 minutes but since I have absolutely no clue about these things I am not willing to take a risk and do it myself.

I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend me someone who would be able to do this, quick and cheap.
I live in London.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

It's dead easy to do Paul.

1) Make sure the amp is unplugged from the mains and undo the screws and take the lid off of the amp.
2) If you turn the amp so that the control knobs are facing you, on the LH side, near the back of the unit you will see the contents of [url="http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg219/scaled.php?server=219&filename=a033v.jpg&res=landing"]this[/url] photo.
3) If you look just below the blue capacitors (in the top LH of the photo) you can see a little jumper block with 230V and 115V written on the board.
This is the jumper.
4) The jumper in this photo is set for 115V and the pin against 230V is standing there uncovered.

Now the technical bit:
5) Pull the jumper off and move it up one notch on the row of pins (so that the 230V pin is covered and the 115V pin is exposed).
6) Push the jumper back into that new position.

7) Put the lid back on.

:)

Mate I opened up the lid and your photo does not match, nevertheless it seems to be quite straight forward, it's just few pins to place differently and a fuse to swap. I think I can handle it.
I will post results when I am done...hopefully I won't burn this darn thing in order to save 20-30 quid...

Ah.
The photo is 'supposed to be' a GK 700RB-II but I obviously didn't take it. myself :).

I've tweaked a couple of different GK's over the years and they've always had nicely marked jumpers to make things straightforward.

I reckon you'll handle it just fine. :)

Yes mate I think so. Inside the amp there are pins which need to be swapped. Each colour combination (for 100, 120, 230 & 240v) is clearly described. There's also an instruction regarding the main fuse which need to be replaced with "T4AH 250v semko" (whatever it means...). Thanks for the response I don't think I would actually find courage to open it up myself without your post even if it was missed a bit :D.